Re: [News] ACTA Faces Intense Opposition, Especially in Europe

____/ 7 on Thursday 11 Mar 2010 19:46 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Start collecting signatures on ACTA declaration!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The written declaration 12/2010 regarding
>> | the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
>> | (ACTA) is now open for signatures. It has
>> | to be signed within three months by more
>> | than half of the Members of the European
>> | Parliament (MEPs). It is a great
>> | opportunity for the European Parliament to
>> | prove its commitment to protecting
>> | fundamental rights and freedoms. Every EU
>> | citizen concerned about ACTA and the
>> | preservation of an open Internet can
>> | participate1 by getting in touch with MEPs2
>> | and urging them to sign the written
>> | declaration.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.laquadrature.net/en/start-collecting-signatures-on-acta-
> declaration
>

> Politicians should show their teeth and
> tear up ACTA and tell them to start again, this time
> with public consultation and involvement.
>
> The very nature of digital media, rights, fair use
> and limitations of use is being eroded by new technology
> and we have to move on instead of trying to lock up
> everyone and everything. There is so much content available now
> that copyrights should be limited after 3 years
> and eliminated after 5 years to reduce the
> number of people being put through the courts.
> Courts have better things to do than pamper to
> greedy studios and rich pop stars.

I got this one an hour ago:

"@glynmoody: Obama Reiterates Support For Finishing ACTA - http://bit.ly/bLNChc whoops -
out of step again... #obama #acta #eu "

Wonderful. At least you know which sovereign nations benefit?

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

The steady state of disks is full. - Ken Thompson
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 22:00:01 up 114 days, 19:31,  2 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.27, 0.59