[News] Microsoft's Former (and Current) Paid AstroTurfer Gartenberg Gets Flak for Slamming GNU/Linux with Lies

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft's Former (and Current) Paid AstroTurfer Gartenberg Gets Flak for Slamming GNU/Linux with Lies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 00:15:31 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GNU/Linux: Rebuttal: Linux on the desktop: Still not happening

,----[ Quote ]
| I am seriously annoyed by the constant
| disingenuous articles that state GNU/Linux
| is not ready for the average userâs desktop
| PC as the primary, or only, operating
| system. What a dump truck load of manure!
| The majority of the people making such
| spurious claims are usually ignorant end-
| users, clueless âreportersâ, Microsoft
| fanatics or Apple worshippers. I am not sure
| which of these categories may contain Mr.
| Gartenberg. But I suspect it is one or more
| of the above. If not, then someone point out
| to me just exactly where Mr. Gartenberg
| stands in the operating systems wars. Yes,
| these are wars. If you do not believe that,
| fine. You can be wrong if you want to.
`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2010/03/09/gnulinux-rebuttal-linux-on-the-desktop-still-not-happening/

The MicroShills Are At It Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs almost impossible to read anything from
| the mainline computer press that does not
| have the hard and heavy thumbprint of
| Microsoft on it. We get it. You all depend
| on Microsoft for your continued existence,
| so all articles pointed at them will be
| heavily slanted in their favor, and, every
| once in a great while, when Microsoft really
| screws the pooch, the sarcastic remarks and
| criticism can fly, but only for so long. (If
| you donât believe this, you arenât paying
| attention. Also, gander at the amount of
| criticism Vista got, and then there were a
| load of articles saying how no one â not
| even them â really gave Vista a chance, and
| it wasnât that bad. Then, magically, when
| Windows 7 started looking halfway good, and
| Microsoft itself admitted what a pig Vista
| was, again it was alright to criticize
| again.)
|
| Now, itâs Bing. Bing is acceptable as a
| search engine â for anyone that has never
| used Google, or Yahoo, for that matter.
|
| But the press is beating us with the âgainsâ
| of Bing in the market every time they show
| up. Enough already.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/theoracle/2010/03/10/the-microshills-are-at-it-again/

Recent:

The Linux desktop is already here

,----[ Quote ]
| I found it more than a little sad that
| someone in 2010 could still think that
| Linux is "still a non-starter on the
| desktop." Please â wake up: We're all Linux
| desktop users now.
|
| No matter what you're running on your
| desktop -- Windows 7, Snow Leopard, XP,
| whatever -- you use the Internet, right?
| And you use Google to search? You talk to
| your friends on Facebook, Twitter of some
| other social network, yes? Then
| congratulations â you're a Linux user.
|
| Thanks to the Web, desktop Linux is
| everywhere. The old desktop metaphor is
| dying. Every day that goes by the lines
| between what used to be a desktop, a
| server, and the network keep blurring.
| Don't think so? Answer me this: How much
| work could you get done without access to
| the Internet?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15719/the_linux_desktop_is_already_here

Operating Systems and Market Share Statistics

,----[ Quote ]
| What are other things to consider? For
| starters how do these places collect their
| statistics? What websites do they pull
| their data from? The content of a webpage
| very much determines the type of operating
| system that a person is likely to view it
| on. For instance these are the operating
| system statistics from the last month for
| my own (primarily Linux-focused) blog :
|
|     * Windows: 44.4%
|     * OSX: 8.03%
|     * Linux: 44.03%
|     * Other: 3.54%
|
| [...]
|
| Beyond just looking at the source of web
| statistics of operating systems, when it
| comes to the global market as a whole, you
| have to consider the countless systems that
| are offline or are rarely connected to the
| internet. Unlike OSX where you can count
| the systems by the amount of Apple hardware
| sold or Mircosoft's Windows where they can
| count the number of activations, a single
| Linux ISO download can account for multiple
| (sometimes even hundreds) of offline (or
| online) installations.
|
| Truth be told, will we ever truly know the
| precise market share of each operating
| system? No, we will not. From my four
| sources here (and others you can find
| around the internet) I'm inclined to
| believe that currently Windows floats
| somewhere around 88%, OSX around 8%, Linux
| somewhere close to 2%, and the rest can get
| lumped into that wonderful "other"
| category.
|
| What do you think? Know of another credible
| source for market share statistics
| regarding operating systems that I didn't
| mention? Let me know!
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/03/operating-systems-and-market-share.html

Related:

Evangelist Gartenberg back to being analyst

,----[ Quote ]
| After only three weeks at Microsoft as an "evangelist," Michael
| Gartenberg is returning to his old job as vice president and
| research director at JupiterResearch.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6165381.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Netbook OS Shouldn't Matter, But It Does

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week we heard about the first Android-powered Netbook (which I wrote
| about in First Android Netbook Nothing to Write Home About). Then on Friday,
| analyst Michael Gartenberg, who is VP of Strategy at Interpret, and who
| writes frequently about consumer technology sent the following Tweet:
|
| Is Android's future in Netbooks? NO! of course not.
|
| I tweeted back:
|
| @Gartenberg Not exclusively, but I could see Android being a viable Netbook
| OS.
|
| And Gartenberg replied:
|
| @ron_miller hard to see it. not the right apps and no better than Linux.
| Linux Netbook return rate is huge.

Desktop Linux: Actually Better than Windows in alot of ways

.----
`----

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Desktop_Linux_Actually_Better_than_Windows_in_alot_of_ways