[News] Intellectual Monopolies ("Imaginary 'Property'") Debunked

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies ("Imaginary 'Property'") Debunked
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:52:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

When You Try To Figure Out Who Owns Imaginary 'Property,' Things Get Confusing Fast

,----[ Quote ]
| With real property, even if there are
| ownership disputes, they don't get as
| ridiculously complicated as this. They don't
| go on for years with multiple people all
| believing they own the property only to find
| out later they might not. They don't involve
| people just declaring they own a piece of
| property with no one realizing they might
| not. These are all arguments over
| "imaginary" property, which isn't property
| at all. At what point do people realize just
| how ridiculous this whole structure is?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100302/0127108353.shtml

Keeping the Score

,----[ Quote ]
| For me, trying to make money off of scores
| is just a dubious proposition. The amount I
| might make seems trivial compared to the
| wider distribution I get from having
| interested musicians be able to check out my
| works whenever they want. There's also a
| certain resentment of the music publishing
| industry involved, since no publisher is
| likely to accept any music as commercially
| unprofitable as mine, and my understanding
| (from Philip Glass and many others) is that,
| even if a publisher takes your work, the
| most likely result is that they will print a
| few copies, keep them in boxes in warehouses
| as a tax write-off, tie up the copyright,
| and make your music more difficult to obtain
| even for those willing to buy it. Of all the
| friends whose music I write about, the few
| whose music is officially published are the
| ones whose scores I have a devil of a time
| trying to get. When the scores are available
| for perusal only, I sometimes can't get
| access to them at all. I'm also conditioned
| by my score-starved youth: so many of the
| scores I desperately needed to see when I
| was a young, studying composer couldn't be
| had under any circumstances. If young
| composers are burning with interest to see
| how my music works, I'm happy to satisfy
| them, and without giving them the hurdle of
| having to contact me personally. I wish
| Boulez, Pousseur, Glass, and co. had done
| the same for me. I bought a ton of scores
| and would have bought many more i was
| curious about, but many were impossible to
| get. I'm just not convinced that the music
| publishing industry, in its current form,
| deserves to survive. [UPDATE: I should add,
| though, that I know some fine, dedicated
| people in the music publishing business who
| put their heart and soul into meticulously
| editing scores by famous dead composers. I
| guess we still need the business around for
| that, but they'll never do all that for me,
| and I can do it for myself.]
`----

http://www.artsjournal.com/postclassic/2010/03/keeping_the_score.html

The MPAA says the movie business is great. Unless it's lousy.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Motion Picture Association of America
| issued its annual report on the movie
| business yesterday -- and to hear the MPAA
| say it, things have never been better for
| Hollywood.
`----

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2010/03/mpaa_box_office_bragging.html

Leaked UK record industry memo sets out plans for breaking copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| In this leaked, six-page email, Richard
| Mollet, the Director of Public Affairs for
| the British Phonographic Institute (the UK's
| record-industry lobbyists), sets out the
| BPI's strategy for ramming through the
| Digital Economy Bill, a sweeping, backwards
| reform to UK copyright law that will further
| sacrifice privacy and due process in the
| name of preserving copyright, without
| actually preserving copyright.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/12/leaked-uk-record-ind.html

Judge tosses copyright claim on Sony's 'God of War'

,----[ Quote ]
| Video games are becoming more like movies
| every day, so it's not surprising to see
| publishers facing the same kinds of idea
| theft lawsuits that frequently irritate
| Hollywood.
`----

http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/03/judge-declares-peace-over-sonys-god-of-war.html

Anti-counterfeiting agreement: Parliament must be fully informed

,----[ Quote ]
| While supporting efforts to protect
| intellectual property rights through an
| international anti-counterfeiting agreement,
| MEPs insist that the European Parliament
| must be kept abreast of the negotiations and
| that data protection and privacy rights of
| citizens must be safeguarded. They would
| also rule out the introduction of a "three
| strikes" internet disconnection as a penalty
| for three online copyright infringements.
`----

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/expert/infopress_page/026-70281-067-03-11-903-20100309IPR70280-08-03-2010-2010-false/default_en.htm

Recent:

Keeping the Score

,----[ Quote ]
| The other day I heard a music publisher
| inveigh against composers who post their
| scores for free as PDFs on their web pages. I
| am one of that tribe. His argument, which was
| new to me and interested me, was that those
| composers pose unfair competition to the
| composers whose scores are published, and thus
| cost money.
`----

http://www.artsjournal.com/postclassic/2010/03/keeping_the_score.html

Pink Floyd Beats EMI in Creativity Flap

,----[ Quote ]
| Pink Floyd prevailed Thursday in a legal brawl
| with its label when a British judge ordered
| EMI to stop selling individual downloads of
| the acid-inspired groupâs songs without
| permission.
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/pink-floyd-beats-emi-in-creativity-flap/

Your genome isn't that precious â give it away

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327224.500-your-genome-isnt-that-precious--give-it-away.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news