[News] GNOME Desktop Environment Finds Accessibility Resolution

  • Subject: [News] GNOME Desktop Environment Finds Accessibility Resolution
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:06:38 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GNOME and Project:Possibility: collaboration in open source accessibility

,----[ Quote ]
| Project:Possibility organise team coding
| competitions for computer science students.
| The the goal of these SS12 events is to
| create accessibility software that will be
| of benefit to real users. These weekend
| âcode-a-thonsâ bring the students together
| with a mentor from industry and provide an
| exciting chance to learn something about
| accessibility, while creating open source
| software. Thus students get exposure to
| topics and skills that are still sadly
| absent from many computer science courses.
| Plus they get to have fun and win prizes.
`----

http://osswatch.jiscinvolve.org/2010/03/14/gnome-and-projectpossibility-collaboration-in-opensource-accessibility/

GNOME Foundation Charter: Iâve read it. Have you?

,----[ Quote ]
|     GNOME is part of the GNU project and
|     supports the goals of the GNU project
|     as defined by the Free Software
|     Foundation. Free software licensing has
|     always been a mainstay of GNOME, and we
|     must ensure that this tradition
|     continues. GNOME will include only Free
|     software.
|
| From the GNOME Foundation Charter.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/03/gnome-foundation-charter-ive-read-it-have-you/

Recent:

Is Desktop Linux Handicap Accessible?

,----[ Quote ]
| Surprisingly, yes, today's Linux distros are
| more accessible than I had thought when I
| first started researching this topic. While
| speech recognition has a way to go, other
| aspects of desktop accessibility are showing
| tremendous levels of progress.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3853031/Is-Desktop-Linux-Handicap-Accessible.htm

Accessibility/Strategy