[News] Apple's Anti-Linux Suit Gets Support from Microsoft, Tim Bray Calls Apple Evil (EFF Does Too)

  • Subject: [News] Apple's Anti-Linux Suit Gets Support from Microsoft, Tim Bray Calls Apple Evil (EFF Does Too)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:04:42 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft welcome HTC/Apple patent battle

,----[ Quote ]
| With several Windows Mobile devices named
| in Appleâs patent suit against HTC, youâd
| be forgiven for expecting Microsoft to have
| a few words of quiet support for their
| hardware partners.  However it seems
| Microsoft are quite looking forward to a
| general battle; speaking at an IP
| convention last week, Brad Smith, the
| companyâs general counsel and senior vice
| president told amassed lawyers that âthe
| fact that thereâs litigation in this area
| is not necessarily a bad thing.â
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-welcome-htcapple-patent-battle-1577681/

Apple bullies.

Apple practices 'legal alchemy' to mask IP theft, claims Nokia

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia last week asked a federal judge to
| toss out Apple's antitrust claims, saying
| the iPhone maker indulged in "legal
| alchemy" when it tried to divert attention
| from its "free-riding" of Nokia's
| intellectual property.
|
| The filing last Thursday was the latest
| salvo in a battle that began in October
| 2009 when Finnish handset maker Nokia sued
| Apple, saying the iPhone infringed on 10 of
| its patents and that the U.S. company was
| trying "to get a free ride on the back of
| Nokia's innovation." Nokia demanded
| royalties on all iPhones sold since Apple
| introduced the smartphone in June 2007.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9170378/Apple_practices_legal_alchemy_to_mask_IP_theft_claims_Nokia

Dana Blankenhorn:

EFF accuses Apple of going the full evil

,----[ Quote ]
| âIf Apple wants to be a real leader, it
| should be fostering innovation and
| competition, rather than acting as a
| jealous and arbitrary feudal lord.â
|
| Is that a quote from Richard Stallman? From
| Steve Ballmer? Some dirty hippie blogger
| like myself?
|
| Nope, itâs Electronic Frontier Foundation
| lawyer Fred von Lohmann (right), responding
| to his own âget,â a copy of the iPhone
| Developer License Agreement, now posted on
| the EFF Web site.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6047

Tim Bray:

Now A No-Evil Zone

,----[ Quote ]
| The iPhone vision of the mobile Internetâs
| future omits controversy, sex, and freedom,
| but includes strict limits on who can know
| what and who can say what. Itâs a sterile
| Disney-fied walled garden surrounded by
| sharp-toothed lawyers. The people who
| create the apps serve at the landlordâs
| pleasure and fear his anger.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2010/03/15/Joining-Google

Android vs. iPhone: Google Hires Tim Bray

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7007/1/

Tech Titan Tim Bray Joins Team Android, Promptly States Intentions

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/03/16/tech-titan-tim-bray-joins-team-android-promptly-states-intentions/

Don't buy Apple. Please.

Recent:

Will Apple be the next SCO or the next Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| Appleâs suit against HTC could end one of
| two ways.
|
| Either Apple becomes the next SCO, which
| ran itself aground claiming rights to
| Linux, or it becomes the next Microsoft,
| which is prospering while claiming to own
| Linux.
|
| The answer depends on how hard Apple
| presses its case.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6012

IBM accused of mainframe monopoly

,----[ Quote ]
| Rarely do you see IBM under attack in
| India. But it is now. And IBM believes that
| itâs actually Microsoft that is behind the
| attack,
| under the facade of a forum called Open-|
| Mainframe.
|
| The issue first arose late last week when
| two Indian research bodies, the Indian
| Council for Research on International
| Economic Relations (ICRIER) and Indicus
| Analytics, released a report suggesting
| that IBM had misused its dominance of the
| Indian market for mainframes (high end
| computers used when the scale of operation
| is massive), and that if this misuse
| continued, it could adversely impact
| Indiaâs efforts towards inclusive growth.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/infotech/hardware/IBM-accused-of-mainframe-monopoly/articleshow/5685315.cms

IBM, Microsoft point fingers at each other

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM, the worldâs largest IT services
| company, has accused Microsoft, the worldâs
| largest operating system manufacturer, of
| sponsoring an India report released last
| week that criticises IBM Indiaâs trade
| practices in the $500-million local server
| market, terming them as restrictive. The
| report calls for unbundling of hardware and
| software by IBM.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/infotech/software/IBM-Microsoft-point-fingers-at-each-other/articleshow/5683762.cms

Much ado about IBM's mainframe monopoly

,----[ Quote ]
| That left T3 Technologies, a company that had
| a reseller agreement with Platform, with no
| product to sell and before IBM ate Platform,
| it fired up its own lawyers, making complaints
| to the authorities here in the States and in
| the European Union. It goes without saying
| that Microsoft, that paragon of fair play in
| the marketplace, was a big investor in both
| Platform and T3 (and don't forget SCO, which
| is still limping along with its Linux-Unix
| lawsuit against Big Blue).
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/10/20/ibm_mainframe_i_monopoly/

âAn SMB needs to be at a certain level of business computing before it requires a mainframeâ

,----[ Quote ]
| What about Linux? Thatâs available on
| System z.
|
| System z runs Linux extremely efficiently
| and there are hundreds of applications
| available for Linux on the mainframe,
| which are certified. You could take any
| Linux application and make it run
| immediately but unfortunately you donât
| have many vendors supporting it.
| Secondly, while the customer adoption of
| Linux in India is high it is not for the
| mission-critical workloads (barring the
| government vertical). This is another
| reason why we are not able to make big
| inroads. Because when you are running
| only print servers and Web servers it
| doesnât make any sense to run it on a
| mainframe. Itâll be like buying a Rolls
| Royce and running it like a taxi.
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20091012/market07.shtml

Mainframe not yet a has-been: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| System z with zOS does have an issue with
| graying of the skills, but z is possibly
| the most open platform today â it runs
| zOS, zVM, Linux, zTPF, DOS/VSE operating
| systems natively. No other platform can
| do this. The fact that it runs Linux
| natively allows for any Linux skill to
| exploit System z. Hence the statement of
| skills obsolescence is only in a portion
| of the total dynamic.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Enterprise/Interviews/Mainframe-not-yet-a-has-been-IBM/91009126177/0/

London Stock Exchange gets the facts and dumps Windows for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoftâs marketing arm excitedly
| churned out a case study in 2005 when the
| London Stock Exchange (LSE) rolled out a
| C# stock exchange ticker system on
| Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000.
| Four years later the LSE has scrapped the
| whole system in favour of a Linux-based
| solution instead.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28359/1141/

Mainframes still command a loyal following

,----[ Quote ]
| But there are changes happening. BMC's survey found
| increasing use of Linux, for example.
|
| "IBM is pushing z/Linux and we're finally seeing a big
| upswing in interest. Some customers are even using their
| entire mainframe as one giant Linux box," said Miller.
`----

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/analysis/2250075/bmc-survey-shows-
mainframes

Mainframe emulator goes commercial

,----[ Quote ]
| While CentOS and Debian Linuxes have supported the z
| implementation of the Linux kernel, the mainframe
| variants of Linux from Red Hat and Novell are what
| nearly all mainframe shops use, and this code is
| available for free even if the installation and
| technical support for it is not.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/25/turbohercules_goes_commercial/

Mainframe shops gush over big iron