[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Works Closely for More OEM Deals, Gets BitNami Deal

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Works Closely for More OEM Deals, Gets BitNami Deal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:29:44 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu Q&A

,----[ Quote ]
| Asay: There is much that we can do on the
| design side. Itâs telling that Mark has
| stepped down as CEO so that he can focus on
| product design. He has an eye for design
| and should be a great addition to the Linux
| communityâs efforts to improve Linuxâs
| usability on the desktop.
| But the other side of it is that we work
| very closely with OEMs like Dell to ensure
| a seamless customer experience. If a
| customer buys an Ubuntu-based machine from
| Dell, itâs going to âjust work.â Every
| time.

BitNami Releases Ubuntu-based Virtual Appliances, Makes Open Source Applications Easy to Deploy

,----[ Quote ]
| BitNami, the project that simplifies the
| process of deploying web applications
| natively, virtually and in the cloud, has
| released Ubuntu-based virtual appliances
| for all of the BitNami-packaged
| applications. Using the new, freely-
| available appliances, BitNami users can
| deploy ready-to-run virtual machine images
| of applications for CRM, bug tracking,
| document management, business intelligence
| and more in minutes.

Project: Getting Ready For Ubuntu 10.04 - Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| In this installment we are going to cover
| the planning phase of the upgrade process.
| Good planning is often the difference
| between a good upgrade experience
| experience and a bad one.  As a computing
| environment becomes more complex, planning
| becomes more essential.  My environment is
| fairly complex so I have to plan.

If Dreams Were Real: Convergence of Distro and Kernel Versions

,----[ Quote ]
| In a lengthy 2008 blog (as we reported),
| Mark Shuttleworth outlined a plan for the
| most commonly used Linux distros (Debian,
| Ubuntu, Red Hat and SUSE) to agree to a
| two-to-three-year major release cycle. The
| sting: if they were to agree to a common
| version numbering, it would immensely
| simply the software and especially the
| driver development process. According to
| Shuttleworth, it would lead to a definite
| positive effect for all distros.

Ubuntu Koala food console gets its cron on

,----[ Quote ]
| Scalr - the open source admin console for
| Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud and its
| Eucalyptus doppelganger - has added a cron
| job task manager to its arsenal, giving you
| more freedom to write and schedule scripts
| on sky-high virtual servers.
| Like RightScale, Scalr provides web-based
| management console for so-called
| infrastructure clouds, services like
| Amazon's EC2 that provide on-demand access
| to scalable compute resources. Amazon now
| offers its own web interface, but services
| like Scalr and RightScale provide a few
| extras, and they dovetail with other,
| similar services, including Eucalyptus, the
| open source project that lets you mimic
| Amazon's setup in your own data center.

BitNami Adds New Stacks to List of Pre-Rolled Open Source Software Deployments

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've ever wanted to run your own blogging
| platform, bug tracking system, or wiki but
| were afraid of getting in over your head,
| BitNami is definitely worth checking out.

BitNami Releases Virtual Appliances for SugarCRM, Wordpress, Alfresco, Drupal
and More

,----[ Quote ]
| BitRock Inc, the leading provider of cross platform deployment tools and
| services, today announced the release of all of the BitNami Stacks as
| SUSE-based virtual appliances. BitNami users can now download ready-to-run
| BitNami Appliances for open source applications such as SugarCRM, Drupal,
| Wordpress, Alfresco and many others. The appliances are available free of
| charge from the BitNami project website, BitNami.org.

BitNami Adds Modules

,----[ Quote ]