[News] Why You Should Switch to GNU/Linux

Why you should switch to OpenSuse

,----[ Quote ]
| I canât understand why some people are
| âafraidâ of using Linux. Few of them still
| think that it is command line based operating
| system used by programmers. But this is not
| true. Any popular Linux distribution (I
| recommend OpenSuse or Ubuntu for beginners) is
| a GUI based desktop operating system. In fact,
| the advantage is that you still have the
| command line if you want to perform advance
| level tasks.
|
| [...]
|
| In this edition, I am also going to cover a
| simple installation guide for the latest
| release of OpenSuse so that beginners can
| easily switch to the Operating System
| (especially if you want to migrate from
| Windows platform to Linux). First of all,
| download the DVD image from this website and
| write it to a DVD.
|
| [...]
|
| I have been using Linux for the past 7 years
| and I have tried many distributions (including
| the Damn Small Linux which comes in a CD image
| of size 50 MB). But, for the past 4 years I
| have been mostly using Ubuntu and Fedora. I
| liked Ubuntu very much since the community
| support for the project is very high. And it
| is based on another popular distribution
| Debian , which is very reliable.
`----

http://techblog.aasisvinayak.com/why-you-should-switch-to-opensuse/

"Linux" is more than just a platform. It challenges a broken system,
so the MAFIAA daemonises it (see below).

Developing countries choose Linux because it's a democratising force.

Recent:

OSFA joins OSI in refuting IIPA's attack on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source For America (OSFA), an organisation
| created to promote the use of open source in
| government, has denounced the IIPA's "Special
| 301" call saying it is irresponsible and
| misleading. The International Intellectual
| Property Association (IIPA) had called for the
| US Trade Representative to place countries such
| as Indonesia, Brazil and India, on a "Special
| 301" watch list, normally reserved for
| dictatorships or repressive regimes, because
| the governments advocate the use of open
| source. OSFA say that this request is "both
| irresponsible and misleading in its
| characterisation of OSS".
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OSFA-joins-OSI-in-refuting-IIPA-s-attack-on-open-source-953967.html

The OSI Categorically Rejects IIPA's special pleadings against Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Moore's Law, Disk Law, and Fiber Law have
| created an economic engine for growth,
| promising exponentially improving
| computing, storage, and networking
| performance for the foreseeable future. And
| yet according to a 2003 UNCTAD report,
| "there has been no Moore's Law for
| software," and indeed it is because of
| software that computer systems have become
| more expensive, more complex, and less
| reliable. The global economy spent $3.4T
| USD on Information and Communication
| Technologies in 2008, of which we estimate
| $1T USD was wasted on "bad software". And
| reconfirming the 2003 report and our own
| numbers updated for 2010, others have
| estimated losses of at least $500B and as
| much as $6T USD (meaning that for every
| dollar spent on ICT, that dollar and almost
| one more went down the drain). Whether the
| annual loss number is $500B, $1T, or $6T,
| all represent an unsustainable cost and
| undeniable evidence that something in the
| dominant design of the proprietary software
| industry is deeply flawed. (See
| OSS-2010.pdf for complete references to all
| of the above.)
`----

http://www.opensource.org/node/511

Indonesia: the IIPA is "Watching" you.