[News] In GNU/Linux, Users Can Interactively Change Data, Code

  • Subject: [News] In GNU/Linux, Users Can Interactively Change Data, Code
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:41:17 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Fun with free maps on the free desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Playing with open map data can be a fun
| pastime. Creating and editing open data can
| be not only fun, but also a boost for free
| data to go along with free software. Whether
| you want to view open map data or edit it,
| there's no shortage of applications that run
| on Linux and work well with OpenStreetMap
| (OSM) data. Here's a look at some useful
| mapping applications for displaying and
| editing open map data on the Linux desktop.
`----

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/378840/e1dd615b0f7f53e4/

Should You Customize Open Source ERP?

,----[ Quote ]
| I could reinvent the wheel here, but thereâs no
| point. The best post that I have seen on this
| comes from my friend, John Henley of Decision
| Analytics. Henley details some advantages to
| customizing an application. They include:
|
|     * Core competencies
|     * Your other front/back-office systems
|     require it
|     * You want additional fields and/or
|     different field sizes
|     * Regulatory requirements
`----

http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/2010/03/17/should-you-customize-open-source-erp/

Recent:

How To Organize A Mapping Party

,----[ Quote ]
| We had a mapping party at NIT Calicut
| recently. After the first day of the event I
| shared some ideas to make such mapping
| parties better with GeoHackers team.
|
| [...]
|
| Maps are created at this stage. The data we
| have mined are ordered, analyzed, and
| tagged. We need to make sure that all the
| team follows a naming convention or comment.
| The coordinator should watch for over
| marking / mis-marking of the same location.
| Once the data is properly tagged, it is time
| to upload it to the OSM server.
`----

http://playingwithsid.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-organize-mapping-party.html

FLOSS Weekly 81: OpenStreetMap.org