[News] FSF/GNU Interacts With Man Behind Microsoft/Novell Deal, Moglen Speaks About Software Freedom

  • Subject: [News] FSF/GNU Interacts With Man Behind Microsoft/Novell Deal, Moglen Speaks About Software Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:43:37 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Send us your questions for new W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe

,----[ Quote ]
| I had the opportunity earlier this week to
| sit down with Jeff and discuss with him his
| appointment and learn a little more about the
| work of W3C and his plans for the coming
| year. Jeff talked about the importance of
| W3C's Royalty-Free Patent Policy and we
| discussed how the free software community
| could participate in and follow the work of
| W3C. He stated that he wanted to "make sure
| that free software advocates view W3C --
| which has spearheaded the removal of patent
| royalties from standards -- as a great place
| to participate."
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/w3c

Open Ballot: would you hire the FSF for the role of Linux PR department?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation has always done
| a great job defending the various free
| software licences, promoting their use, and
| asking for Linux to be referred to as
| GNU/Linux.
`----

http://tuxradar.com/content/open-ballot-would-you-hire-fsf-role-linux-pr-department

Interview: Eben Moglen - Freedom vs. The Cloud Log

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software has won: practically all of the
| biggest and most exciting Web companies like
| Google, Facebook and Twitter run on it. But
| it is also in danger of losing, because those
| same services now represent a huge threat to
| our freedom as a result of the vast stores of
| information they hold about us, and the in-
| depth surveillance that implies.
|
| Better than almost anyone, Eben Moglen knows
| what's at stake. He was General Counsel of
| the Free Software Foundation for 13 years,
| and helped draft several versions of the GNU
| GPL. As well as being Professor of Law at
| Columbia Law School, he is the Founding
| Director of the Software Freedom Law Center.
| And he has an ambitious plan to save us from
| those seductive but freedom-threatening Web
| service companies.  He explained to Glyn
| Moody what the problem is, and how we can fix
| it.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Interview-Eben-Moglen-Freedom-vs-the-Cloud-Log-955421.html

Categories of Free and Non-Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html