[News] GNOME Desktop News, Mono Sceptic in the House

  • Subject: [News] GNOME Desktop News, Mono Sceptic in the House
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:01:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Jeremy Allison joins GNOME Advisory Board

http://www.the-source.com/2010/03/jeremy-allison-joins-gnome-advisory-board/

Pretty penguin: five great themes for the GNOME desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The GNOME desktop environment and its
| underlying Gtk+ widget toolkitâwhich
| provide a user interface and a standard set
| of applications for Linuxâhave an elaborate
| theme system that enables users to
| customize the appearance of their desktop.
|
| GNOME has attracted a vibrant community of
| open source artists who are collaborating
| to produce aesthetically sophisticated
| visual styles for the desktop environment.
| Many custom GNOME themes are published in
| online galleries so that they can be
| downloaded and installed by regular end
| users. The most popular of these
| repositories is the GNOME-Look.org Web
| site, which has become the de facto
| standard home of downloadable GNOME theming
| content.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/03/pretty-penguin-five-great-themes-for-the-gnome-desktop.ars

Make Your Coworkerâs Day in Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Leaving your coworkers a nice message is
| easy and can brighten up their dull
| afternoon. Weâre pretty sure that this
| method can only be used for good and not
| evil, but if you have any other suggestions
| of messages to leave, let us know in the
| comments!
`----

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13581/make-your-coworkers-day-in-ubuntu/

First stable version of GNOME Media Player Released; gains ad-hoc engine support

,----[ Quote ]
| The first stable release of GNOME Media
| Player - formally GNOME VLC - is now
| available.
|
| This release sees the fresh-faced newcomer
| gain support for 3 engines (VLC, Xine and
| GStreamer) for playing media, with the
| option to easily switch ad-hoc between
| them.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/first-stable-version-of-gnome-media.html

Interesting GNOME Census problems

http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2010/03/24/interesting-gnome-census-problems/

Open Source Fundraising Campaigns: The GNOME Ruler

,----[ Quote ]
| GNOME is raising funds for a system
| administrator, and just yesterday a ruler
| has been added to the top of various GNOME
| websites to show people progress.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2010/03/24/open-source-fundraising-campaigns-the-gnome-ruler/

Arista - Multimedia Transcoder for GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| Arista is an easy-to-use multimedia
| transcoder for the GNOME desktop. It
| focuses on the goal of transcoding media,
| namely the devices you wish to play the
| media on. It is designed for use by people
| who are not familiar with audio and video
| encoding and want an easy way to get
| multimedia to their devices. It supports
| input from DVD and V4L devices as well as
| regular files.
`----

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2010/03/arista-multimedia-transcoder-for-gnome.html

Five Things To Fix In Gnome Shell

http://www.workswithu.com/2010/03/23/five-things-to-fix-in-gnome-shell/

Testing the Gnome 2.30 Release Candidate

,----[ Quote ]
| If Gnome developers are to be believed, the
| desktop of the future arrived last week
| when the release candidate for Gnome 2.30â
| which could become Gnome 3.0âwas made
| available.  My CPU needed a workout, so I
| recently compiled the new desktop and gave
| it a run.  Hereâs a look at the desktop
| environment thatâlike it or notâmay soon be
| coming to a computer near you.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2010/03/18/testing-the-gnome-3-release-candidate/

Mailing lists are parties. Or they should be.

,----[ Quote ]
| Bottom line: Software canât save a mailing
| list full of people who actively dislike
| each other. Maybe Iâm crazy, though, but it
| seems like software that helped mailing
| lists function more like parties could
| really help mailing lists cope better with
| anti-social people.
`----

http://tieguy.org/blog/2010/03/17/lists-parties/

GNOME Shell 2.29.1 released

,----[ Quote ]
| GNOME Shell provides core user interface
| functions for the GNOME 3 desktop, like
| switching to windows and launching
| applications.  GNOME Shell takes advantage
| of the capabilities of modern graphics
| hardware and introduces innovative user
| interface concepts to provide a visually
| attractive and easy to use experience.
`----

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2010-March/msg00059.html

Build a lighter Gnome in Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| In light of the last post and this post
| from a day or two ago, I suppose itâs worth
| mentioning (or showing) that a simplified
| Gnome desktop is possible in Ubuntu too.
| But in showing it, I will probably be
| underscoring a few other issues that I have
| grazed in the past.
|
| [...]
|
| Beyond that itâs quite slender, and youâre
| in a good position to build upward. If you
| have a preference for certain parts of what
| Ubuntu delivers, but an extreme distate for
| anything else, I would recommend starting
| with gnome-core.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/build-a-lighter-gnome-in-ubuntu/

Recent:

GNOME and KDE to co-locate 2011 Desktop Summit

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/GNOME-and-KDE-to-co-locate-2011-Desktop-Summit-956667.html

Testing the Gnome 3 Release Candidate

,----[ Quote ]
| Although thereâs no official word on when
| Gnome 3 will become the default desktop
| environment in Ubuntu, Mark Shuttleworth
| suggested last summer that the October 2010
| release, or Ubuntu 10.10, would be a likely
| target.
|
| Given my experience with the new Gnome, Iâm
| not convinced thatâs a good idea, unless a
| lot changes on Gnomeâs end between now and
| the fall.  But Iâll save my criticism for
| another post.  Below, Iâll focus on what
| Gnome 2.30/3 actually does, and how itâs so
| different from its predecessors.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2010/03/18/testing-the-gnome-3-release-candidate/

Mutter 2.29.1 Brings Dependence On Clutter 1.2

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODA3NQ