[News] Many New Distribution Reviews, Experiences

  • Subject: [News] Many New Distribution Reviews, Experiences
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:59:19 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Element 1.1 Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| Element 1.1 is a distribution designed
| specifically for home theater or media
| center computers. This is obvious when you
| boot up Element 1.1 which brings users
| Firefox, Transmission, XBMC, Decibel Audio
| Player, VLC, and many other useful
| multimedia apps together on this customized
| version of the XFCE desktop.
`----

http://beginlinux.com/desktop_training/reviews/element-11

What Is Unity Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Unity Linux is not a conventional
| distribution of Linux.  Itâs a core on
| which developers can build their own
| distribution of Linux.  Weâve set out from
| the start to provide an excellent minimum
| graphical environment that gave developers
| âjust enough graphicsâ for them to create
| something.  The smaller, the better.  We
| elected to go with Openbox because of itâs
| size and stability.  We selected using
| Mandriva as our base because of the number
| of packages they provide and the quality of
| those packages.  We pushed lxpanel as a
| minimal panel because it provides just
| enough functionality for distro developers
| to see what theyâve installed after theyâve
| installed itâit also is familiar to most
| people whereas Openbox right click menuâs
| may not be.  All in all, our target for the
| core release is developers.  Weâre not
| designing this basic desktop to be used by
| end users.  Weâre not trying to win any
| awards with our awesome minimalistic
| desktop skills.  Why would we do this?  To
| answer this, you have to take a look at our
| developers.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/what-is-unity-linux/

Clonezilla Live adds UFS support

,----[ Quote ]
| Developer Steven Shiau has announced the
| release of version 1.2.4-28 of Clonezilla
| Live. Clonezilla is an open source clone
| system with features similar to Symantec
| Ghost Corporate Ed and Partimage.
`----

http://www.freebsdnews.net/2010/03/29/clonezilla-live-adds-ufs-support/

An introduction to Igelle 1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| I think that is the audience Igelle is
| targeting: not the type of people who run
| Debian, Gentoo and Fedora, but the sort of
| people who enjoy technology like OS X,
| iPods and iPads. People who want to find a
| balance between the simplicity of a
| dedicated appliance and the power provided
| by Linux. In short, it looks like Igelle
| has the potential to make the
| netbook/tablet/mobile device market a very
| interesting place in the coming year.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100329#feature

System rescue and virus scanning with Dr.Web LiveCD

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course we already have ClamAV and in
| terms of the scanner interface and
| incremental updates both appear quite
| similar; however, I am not aware of a
| ClamAV live CD. On top of this, security-
| conscious people do not like to put all
| their eggs in one basket and it is
| recommended in some settings, even at home,
| to periodically scan and re-check with
| different products. I have had anti-virus
| software in the past detect Trojans that
| another (free) one did not detect. This was
| on a different operating system, but you
| don't have to use this rescue CD
| exclusively on your UNIX/Linux systems.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100322#feature

Elive 2.0 - Distro Review

,----[ Quote ]
| This is Elive's slogan. As I am sure you
| can guess, it is a Debian based
| distribution that uses the Enlightenment
| window manager. I always like to jump in
| with both feet when it comes to playing
| with technology, so to get the best feel
| for what Elive is and how it works I
| downloaded the LiveCD and installed it as
| the primary operating system on my Sager
| Laptop.
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/03/elive-20-distro-review.html

KDE 4.4.1 available for Mandriva 2010 !!

,----[ Quote ]
| The first bugfix release of KDE 4.4 was
| released at the beginning of this month and
| again thanks to neoclust we have packages
| for Mandriva 2010 available since last
| week. You can follow the instructions of my
| 4.4.0 to upgrade to 4.4.1. If you are
| upgrading from KDE 4.4.0 then don't forget
| to disable or delete the old KDE 4.4.0
| repository before starting this upgrade,
| just in case.
`----

http://not403.blogspot.com/2010/03/first-bugfix-release-of-kde-4.html

[notice] ArchBang website is now online!

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! Can you believe it? ArchBang website?
| Really? Thanks to Will and Mike it was
| possible so fast! A Big thanks to loki for
| the artwork!
`----

http://pdg86.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/notice-archbang-website-is-now-online/

Simply GNU/Linux 5.0 : An unsung son of ALT Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://saleem-khan.blogspot.com/2010/03/simply-gnulinux-50-unsung-son-of-alt.html