[News] Free/Libre Application News for GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Free/Libre Application News for GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:53:33 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Eye of GNOME gets helpful when viewing wallpaper images

,----[ Quote ]
| The default image viewer in Ubuntu, Eye of
| GNOME, now offers up a helpful dialogue
| when viewing a picture that has been set as
| your desktop wallpaper.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/eye-of-gnome-gets-helpful-offers-to-set.html

Gedit want a new logo

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/gedit-want-new-logo.html

Quanta Plus review

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, we see Quanta Plus as a web
| development tool thatâs almost there. Given
| some more time and a steady growth to its
| user base, this software can become the
| best free alternative to the IDEs that cost
| hundreds of dollars.
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/quanta-plus-review/

Nicer thumbnail borders coming to a Nautilus near you

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/nicer-thumbnail-borders-coming-to.html

Debreate - A Debian package builder for debian based systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Debreate is a graphical utility to aid in
| the creation of Debian packages. It
| automates packaging, so there is no need to
| create a build tree, Debreate will
| automatically construct one and build the
| .deb.
`----

http://www.unixmen.com/news-today/915-debreate-a-debian-package-builder-for-debian-based-systems

Rhythmbox 0.12.8

,----[ Quote ]
| Huzzah! New version of Rhythmbox is
| released with lots of bug fixes and other
| goodies!
|
| Rhythmbox holds a special place in my
| heart: not only is it the best Linux audio
| player Iâve ever used (and Iâve tried every
| one Iâve ever ran across), but itâs one of
| those driving forces that keep me
| motivated.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/03/rhythmbox-0-12-8/

dockapps: Everything old is new again

,----[ Quote ]
| I could spend most of the day just sifting
| through dockapps.org. Iâll admit that a lot
| of them look a bit outdated, but some of
| them are quite smooth. I mentioned two a
| lo-o-ong time ago that are still very
| attractive â wmhdplop and wmforkplop.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/dockapps-everything-old-is-new-again/

Gwibber in Lucid: Adding More Columns

,----[ Quote ]
| Short post to help people get the most out
| of Gwibber as a lot of readers keep asking
| me âHow I got a âmultiple columns/tweetdeck
| styleâ Gwibber?â.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/gwibber-in-lucid-adding-more-columns.html

Library for reading and writing Quicktime files (utilities).

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the home of libquicktime, a library
| for reading and writing quicktime/avi/mp4
| files. It provides convenient access to
| quicktime files with a variety of supported
| codecs.
`----

http://ubuntulandforever.blogspot.com/2010/03/library-for-reading-and-writing.html

Esfera: A fascinating UI concept for window management in Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| As a writer, I can instantly see the
| benefit of having access to the back side
| of a window. As a consultant and
| administrator, the perks of this idea are
| also readily apparent (imagine slapping a
| network diagram on the back of the Network
| Manager tool on your Ubuntu serverâyou
| would never forget where that diagram is).
|
| Of course what this very idea does (besides
| open up huge possibilities) is showcase the
| flexibility and open nature of the Linux
| operating system. It is this sort of
| thinking that keeps Linux at the forefront
| of innovation. And these types of ideas
| will continue to make the Linux desktop the
| single most impressive desktop available.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1395

8 of the Best Free Linux Astrology Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Astrology is a set of traditions, beliefs
| and systems which hold that there is a
| connection between the movement of heavenly
| bodies and events that take place on Earth
| such as human affairs, and personality.
| Astrologists use the position of the
| planets to try to predict future events,
| and to inform the psychological
| understanding of an individual's psyche.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20100326204646824/Astrology.html

Histwi â A Desktop Twitter Account Management App for Linux

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/histwi-a-desktop-twitter-account-management-software-for-linux.html

5 'Great' Open-source Desktop Security Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| GnuPG & Gpg4winGNU Privacy is a free
| software encryption application that is a
| product of the Free Software Foundation's
| GNU Software project. GnuPG provides a
| complete free software implementation of
| the OpenPGP standard RFC4880, making it
| interoperable with other OpenPGP complaint
| systems. Out of the box GnuPG provides a
| command line interface (CLI) with numerous
| optional graphical add-ons available for
| nearly all platforms.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/032610-5-great-open-source-desktop-security.html?hpg1=bn

Analyze and fix what ails your music files with MP3 Diags

,----[ Quote ]
| Chances are you sometimes come across an
| MP3 file that wonât play properly or does
| something quirky in your favorite music
| player. You can try ripping or downloading
| the file again, or you can fix the problem
| yourself with MP3 Diags. This utility has
| two main goals: See whatâs inside MP3 files
| and identify errors and potential issues,
| and change MP3 files to conform to
| standards and contain all the useful
| information they are supposed to contain.
`----

http://sourceforge.net/blog/analyze-and-fix-what-ails-your-music-files-with-mp3-diags/

Prey Tracks Your Stolen Laptop So You Can Get it Back

,----[ Quote ]
| Prey is licensed under the GPLv3 license
| and available for free download from the
| project's Web site.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/prey-tracks-your-stolen-laptop-so-you-can-get-it-back

FatRat Is An Amazing Linux Download Manager [Ubuntu PPA Included]

,----[ Quote ]
| FatRat comes with many very interesting
| options. For one, it can download from
| HTTP(S)/FTP, RapidShare free and even
| YouTube. But FatRat can also download
| torrents, (it has BitTorrent support) has
| RSS feed support + special functions for TV
| shows and podcasts, support for SOCKS5 and
| HTTP proxies and even remote control via
| Jabber and a web interface and of course, a
| scheduler. FatRat has way to many options
| to list them here so check it out for
| yourself by installing FatRat (instructions
| further down).
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/fatrat-is-amazing-linux-download.html

Memtest â An Awesome Tool To Test Your Computerâs Memory For Errors

,----[ Quote ]
| First off you need to download Memtest and
| I would suggest burning the bootable ISO
| image onto a CD. That is perhaps the
| easiest way to use Memtest. Owing to its
| popularity and usefulness, Memtest is also
| included on a number of Live CDs including
| the likes of Ubuntu and System Rescue CD.
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/memtest-awesome-tool-test-computers-memory-errors/

Applications and bundled libraries

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla is moving to a different release
| model, which may necessitate distribution
| changes. The idea is to include feature
| upgrades as part of minor releasesâmany of
| which are done to fix security flawsâwhich
| would come out every 4-6 weeks or so. Major
| releases would be done at roughly six-month
| intervals and older major releases would
| stop being supported soon after a
| subsequent release. Though the plan is
| controversialâparticularly merging security
| and features into the minor releasesâit may
| work well for Mozilla, and the bulk of
| Mozilla's users who are on Windows.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/378865/

6 of the Best Free Linux HDR Imaging Software

,----[ Quote ]
| High dynamic range imaging (HDR) is an
| important technology for photographers. It
| is a collection of techniques that allow a
| wider dynamic range of luminances between
| the lightest and darkest areas of an image.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20100323145610371/HDRImaging.html

Get to know Linux: AppArmor

,----[ Quote ]
| Youâve heard that Linux is a very secure
| operating system. Youâve heard itâs
| practically immune to viruses (practically
| being the key word). Youâve heard itâs
| tough to crack. These are all trueâand with
| good reason. Linux is such a strong
| operating system for two primary reasons â
| by design and with the help of security
| systems like AppArmor and SELinux.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/24/get-to-know-linux-apparmor/

How a little varnish changed my life

,----[ Quote ]
| I got from a rotten 6 requests per second
| with WordPress to a whopping 9500! If
| youâre on Linux and running Apache,
| installing varnish is a breeze! Especially
| if youâre hosting a well cacheable site
| like a blog.
|
| Iâm running on a Linux Debian virtual
| server (provided by Kabisa) with 1 VCPU
| core and 512MB of memory. Nothing fancy.
`----

http://ariejan.net/2010/03/24/how-a-little-varnish-changed-my-life/

Scite Open Source Text Editor

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/23/scite-open-source-text-editor/

Jabbing with Coccinella

,----[ Quote ]
| Although its name sounds like that of a
| bacterium, Coccinella is a nice cross-
| platform open source Jabber client. While
| Jabber, and IM clients in general, are a
| dime a dozen, Coccinella sports a few nifty
| features that make it worth considering if
| your are in the market for a Jabber client.
`----

http://linuxbeacon.com/doku.php?id=articles:coccinella

Ailurus 10.03.2 is available for use.

,----[ Quote ]
| Ailurus makes Linux easier to use. You can
| study Linux skills, install some nice
| applications and change GNOME settings by
| this small application.
`----

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ailurus-10-03-2-is-available-for-use.html

The VideoLan Movie Creator, VLMC 0.0.1 for Linux to be released after VLC 1.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Please note that this first public release
| of VLMC 0.0.1 is going to be a preview
| release, so there is still a whole lot to
| come. Here is the release schedule as
| planned by VLMC developers during FOSDEM
| 2010.
|
|     * February 17th: Feature Freezet
|     * March 3rd: String Freeze
|     * March 24th: Release (only for win32
|     as of now).
`----

http://linuxers.org/article/videolan-movie-creator-vlmc-001-for-linux-be-released-after-vlc-11

Reviewed: VueScan 8.6.10

,----[ Quote ]
| Can it be true: is this really a piece of
| scanning software that can recognise your
| scanner first time? On Linux? Read on for
| our verdict on this commercial scanning
| program that provides an impressive amount
| of control over the picture-grabbing
| process...
|
| [...]
|
| Our verdict: There simply isn't anything to
| compare with it on Linux, or possibly any
| other platform you may choose. 9/10
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/reviewed-vuescan-8610

NetworkManager vs wicd vs wpa_gui

,----[ Quote ]
| Due to some idle time* a couple of weeks
| ago, here's a quick comparison between a
| few network control tools for Linux.
|
| These tools all give you some sort of
| network control from the Desktop - a
| service traditionally provided by daemons
| and initialisation scripts.  The problem
| with that is roaming - it's much more
| common nowadays to have a laptop travel
| between multiple access points (Ethernet,
| 802.11, wireless broadband...) and many of
| the tasks can be automated.  So what better
| way to use a point-and-click approach.
`----

http://nthrbldyblg.blogspot.com/2010/03/networkmanager-vs-wicd-vs-wpagui.html

RedNotebookâAdvanced Diary Keeping

,----[ Quote ]
| RedNotebook is a graphical diary and
| journal helping you keep track of notes and
| thoughts. It includes calendar navigation,
| customizable templates, export
| functionality and word clouds. You also can
| format, tag and search your entries.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/rednotebook%E2%80%94advanced-diary-keeping

Monitor Energy Saver

,----[ Quote ]
| Monitor ES basically helps computer users
| save money (and the environment) by
| reducing the amount of energy their
| computer systems consumes.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/19/monitor-energy-saver/

Tech Tip: Caffeine for Your Monitor

,----[ Quote ]
| I am sure most of the people out there are
| having trouble with their monitor going to
| sleep or in screen saver mode while they
| are watching movies or flash videos on
| sites like hulu.
`----

http://www.geekride.com/index.php/tech-tip-caffeine-for-your-monitor/

Giving Samba its due

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Samba is used world-wide by all sizes
| and types of users and businesses. It has
| won plenty of awards (including an award to
| Andrew Tridgell from the Google OâReilly
| Open Source Hall of Fame Awards), yet Samba
| remains humbly in the background connecting
| different operating systems together day in
| and day out.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1373

8 of the best free Twitter clients for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Who would have thought microblogging would
| be so popular? 2009 was probably the
| 'crossover' year for microblogging and
| Twitter in particular, as high-profile
| people started to massage their egos with
| some online idolatry.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/8-of-the-best-free-twitter-clients-for-linux-677176

Q7z: Front end for Linux 7-Zip

,----[ Quote ]
| Compression is compression is compression.
| Right? Wrong. There are some compression
| utilities that eek out every drop of space
| possible. On the Linux operating system the
| standard is gzip or bunzip2. But if youâre
| looking for one of the highest compression
| ratios to be found you might want to turn
| your sites to 7-Zip.  7-Zip is a free (even
| for commercial usage) compression/archiving
| utility that has its own compression
| algorithm (LZMA â Lemple-Ziv-Markov chain
| algorithm).
|
| Although 7-Zip is available for both
| Windows and Linux, only the Windows port
| has a GUI front end. This means, by
| default, using 7-Zip in Linux requires the
| use of commands. Normally this is fine, but
| the 7-Zip commands can be fairly confusing
| (even to the experienced user). Fortunately
| 7-Zip does integrate well with the GNOME
| and KDE desktops. And it has a front end
| available. This front end is Q7z and was
| not created nor is maintained by the makers
| of 7-Zip.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/22/q7z-front-end-for-linux-7-zip/

7 of the Best Free Linux FTP Clients

,----[ Quote ]
| File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a popular
| and time-honored method of transferring
| files to and from a remote network site.
| FTP is built on a client-server
| architecture and uses separate control and
| data connections between the client and
| server applications. The FTP client
| connects to the FTP server, and enables the
| user to send and retrieves files from that
| server.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20100320122220926/FTPClients.html

Five Best IRC Clients for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux users can choose from more IRC
| clients than you can shake a stick at,
| dozens of clients depending on how
| expansive your definition is. To winnow it
| down to a reasonable herd of clients, I
| decided to rule out a couple of clients
| that are undeniably awesome but not well-
| suited to many users. For instance, Emacs
| has several clients, but if you're not
| using Emacs then you're not going to want
| to learn it just to use a nifty IRC client.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/295201:five-best-irc-clients-for-linux

Radio Tray gives âlight listeningâ a whole new meaning!

,----[ Quote ]
| Another factor that led me to take Radio
| Tray for a spin was that python is the
| language dujour for its development and the
| fairly small number of dependencies
| involved in building it. In fact, if youâre
| running one of the popular GNU/Linux
| distributions out there, then you should
| have all you need. Carlos has done a pretty
| good job at keeping the code simple and
| easy to follow, so anyone whoâs tinkered
| with pygtk before can aspire to contribute
| to the project. Those who have taken the
| time to provide feedback and report issues
| or file for new features will agree that
| the level of attention to user satisfaction
| is pretty high for such a young project!
`----

http://www.ogmaciel.com/?p=832

5 really good music players for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing youâve really got to admire about
| the open source application ocean is the
| wide availability of good, really good,
| music players.
`----

http://opentechblog.com/2010/03/5-really-good-music-players-for-linux/

Gnome Gmail = Gmail + Gnome

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite its power and convenience, Gmail
| has one serious limitation: the desktop
| integration. The Gnome Gmail tool solves
| this problem for users running the Gnome
| desktop environment.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce-Dmitri-s-open-source-blend-of-productive-computing/Gnome-Gmail-Gmail-Gnome

Klavaro - Typing Tutor on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Klavaro is FREE and offers you an easy way
| to learn to type quickly and correctly on a
| keyboard. Every finger has its place on the
| keyboard with associated keys to press.
`----

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2010/03/klavaro-typing-tutor-on-linux.html

BAR - Backup archiver program

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/bar-backup-archiver-program.html

Virtualization for Developers with VirtualBox

http://www.drdobbs.com/tools/224200107

Virtual Control - Linux, VirtualBox and OS/2 or eComStation

http://blog.eracc.com/2010/03/19/virtual-control-linux-virtualbox-and-os2-or-ecomstation/