[News] Linux Interaction With Proprietary Software Improves

  • Subject: [News] Linux Interaction With Proprietary Software Improves
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:52:30 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

iPhone/iPod Linux Library Hits Version 1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| While Apple provides support for the iPod
| and iPhones on Mac OS X (of course) and
| even Windows, complete with iTunes support,
| they provide no such love for those wishing
| to use their gadgets on Linux. This has led
| the Linux community to reverse-engineering
| Apple's USB protocol for the iPod/iPhone
| devices, developing different hacks, and in
| some cases even needing to "jail break" the
| product in order to use it fully under
| Linux. There's a few different projects
| around that seek to implement iPhone/iPod
| support on Linux, but one of them that
| takes an entirely free software approach
| and does not depend upon any DRM or
| proprietary libraries is libimobiledevice.
| This week the libimobiledeviceproject is
| celebrating their version 1.0 release after
| being in development for nearly three
| years.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODA5Mg

ANGLE wined3d in reverse

,----[ Quote ]
| Were happy to announce a new open source
| project called Almost Native Graphics Layer
| Engine, or ANGLE for short. The goal of
| ANGLE is to layer WebGLs subset of the
| OpenGL ES 2.0 API over DirectX 9.0c API
| calls. Were open-sourcing ANGLE under the
| BSD license as an early work-in-progress,
| but when complete, it will enable browsers
| like Google Chrome to run WebGL content on
| Windows computers without having to rely on
| OpenGL drivers.
`----

http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/news/angle-wined3d-in-reverse.html

Emulation of windows sucks on Linux.

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been following the WINE project for
| quite a few years. These guys are doing an
| incredibly hard job in trying to keep up
| with a moving target and basically re-
| writing an operating system to run natively
| on top of another operating system.
|
| Many people think of the WINE project as an
| emulator for windows yet the very name of
| the project explains that it is not true.
| The name WINE is, as you most probably
| know, a typical open source acronym for
| Wine Is Not an Emulator. The very goal of
| the project is to recreate, without
| breaking any law, the functional equivalent
| of the windows operating systems libraries
| so programs written for windows can run
| natively under Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| When there is equivalent Linux
| functionality for any available windows
| program out there, why would people still
| want to use windows programs? If you must
| use a windows program, then pay the piper
| and buy yourself a copy of the operating
| system. Or even better, learn how to
| effectively use the equivalent Linux
| program and wean yourself off of the nipple
| and be a big boy for a change.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/emulation-of-windows-sucks-on-linux-37745

Skype Open-Source Update Expected Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in November there was an official
| announcement from Skype concerning an open-
| source Linux client. Details since then
| have been scarce on what exactly Skype
| plans to provide as open-source software,
| with some speculating just the user-
| interface/front-end side will be opened up.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODExMA

Bordeaux ported to StormOS

,----[ Quote ]
| We are pleased to announce that Bordeaux
| now runs on StormOS and Nexenta systems,
| over the past couple weeks the StormOS team
| has successfully completed the first
| initial port. And work can now be focused
| on the UI changes that are coming in our
| next release.
`----

http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/bordeaux/bordeaux-ported-to-stormos.html

The First Opera 10.51 Snapshot for Linux Is Here

,----[ Quote ]
| Opera 10.50 has been available for a couple
| of weeks on Windows and Opera 10.51 has
| just been released, but Linux fans are
| still stuck at Opera 10.10. Hopefully, this
| won't be for much longer, as the new
| browser is packing some serious punch and
| is coming with an impressive feature list.
| The final release isn't here, but Linux
| users can finally get to testing Opera's
| latest creation as the first snapshot
| builds of Opera 10.51 6252 for Linux have
| been made available by the development
| team.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-First-Opera-10-51-Snapshot-for-Linux-Is-Here-138243.shtml

AVG Rescue CD: Free toolset for repair of infected machines

,----[ Quote ]
| The AVG Rescue CD is essentially a portable
| version of AVG Anti-Virus supplied through
| Linux distribution.
`----

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=9052

Coraid offers EtherDrive storage arrays and HBAs

,----[ Quote ]
| Coraid's EtherDrive storage platform has
| organically amassed over 1,100 customers,
| including large enterprise and government
| organizations, since its 2005 launch into
| the Linux market.
`----

http://www.wwpi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8446:coraid-offers-etherdrive-storage-arrays-and-hbas&catid=221:other-storage-media-ssd-hdd-blades&Itemid=2701223

Finally Opera 10.51 .deb And .rpm Linux Packages

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/finally-opera-1051-deb-and-rpm-linux.html

The Wine development release 1.1.41 is now available.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.1.41