[News] Loads of New Developments Around Android/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Loads of New Developments Around Android/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:26:18 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Zerion Software and SDG Systems to provide ruggedized Android Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Zerion Software is collaborating with SDG
| Systems to provide ruggedized Android
| solutions to the mobile workforce.
| Together, the two companies are working to
| build a field data-collection solution
| running the offline capable exZact mobile
| platform on rugged Google Android
| computers. Both firms see a tremendous
| opportunity in the marketplace for such a
| ruggedized solution to be used for Field
| Service, Task Management, and Work Order
| Management.
`----

http://press-releases.techwhack.com/49780-zerion-software-5

VoiceCon: Android Where Art Thou?

,----[ Quote ]
| Why is Android getting such traction? For a
| couple of reasons, but mainly because it is
| free. Google is offering Android as free
| open source software optimized for
| communications. That combined with an
| growing library of applications and
| capabilities makes Android reasonably
| attractive as an embedded operating system.
`----

http://www.ucstrategies.com/unified-communications-strategies-views/voicecon-android-where-art-thou.aspx?gnid=15066

ESC helps drive Android beyond cellphone

,----[ Quote ]
| Mentor Graphics, which has developed a set
| of Android software development tools, will
| host two talks on Android for embedded
| systems, including one that will describe
| how Android or Linux can co-exist with a
| real-time operating system. A third talk
| will be hosted by Bill Gatliff, an
| independent consultant.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224200526

3 Reasons Why The Nexus One Phone Will Thrive

,----[ Quote ]
| 2)  Android Operating System
|
| Yes, Android runs on a lot of different
| phones, but itâs also the operating system
| for the Nexus One phone. The difference
| between the Nexus One and all the other
| phones is that Google owns it and puts its
| own stamp of approval on it.
|
| The open source Android operating system on
| the Nexus One phone means that Google will
| be employing their own engineers to make
| the Nexus One more efficient.  This âin
| houseâ approach of Google will more than
| likely launch the Nexus One far ahead of
| their competitors that are equally powered
| by Android.
`----

http://socialmediaseo.net/2010/03/27/google-nexus-one-phone/

TheMarker gets up close and personal with Google's top team

,----[ Quote ]
| "Don't worry," Schmidt smiles. There's
| another kind of Android, which is totally
| open source. "Other companies do whatever
| they want, and we don't even know about it.
| So when we go to these conferences, all of
| these random devices show up with Android
| in them, that we've never heard of. Which
| is the benefit of open source and very,
| very exciting. So it looks like we have got
| a huge, huge success with Android."

Android Devices Crave Googleâs Attention

,----[ Quote ]
| Androidâs smartphone army is at least 20
| phones strong, plus a ragtag rear guard of
| e-book readers, tablets and set-top boxes.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/android-devices-crave-googles-attention/

Trial â A mobilephobics view of Android (complimented with the HTC Hero)

,----[ Quote ]
| I wonât continue on as this is not so much
| a review but more of my thoughts on a
| subject which Ive had strong opinions on in
| the past (Mobile phone computing)  Whilst
| my Winmob experience probably prevented me
| from getting excited about it in the past,
| Android and the HTC has changed all that.
| I can now be productive on a mobile and
| whilst the touch screen is not the best
| keyboard in the world for me, Iâm getting
| used to it and am certainly productive if
| Im on the train or wanting to keep up my
| online presence whilst on the move.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/trial-a-mobilephobics-view-of-android-complimented-with-the-htc-hero/

Why Android is a winning formula

,----[ Quote ]
| Out of all of these the one that appears to
| have the most traction is Android. Google
| is actively developing the OS, developers
| are building apps for the platform and you
| have a choice of manufacturers.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/columns/11900.html

HTC Evo 4G Gets Rave Reviews at CTIA

,----[ Quote ]
| ...4G smartphone slated to come to market,
| the Android-powered handset boasts some
| serious specs, which is fueling a frenzy of
| positive posts in the days since it was
| unveiled. A full list of HTC Evo 4G
| features is at the Sprint Web site, but the
| features making the geeks go ga-ga include:
| Android 2.1 OS, a QualComm SnapDragon 1Ghz
| processor, a 4.3-inch touchscreen, HTC
| Sense UI, 8-megapixel auto-focus camera
| with HD-capable video camcorder and a
| forward-facing 1.3-megapixel camera, built-
| in mobile hotspot functionality allowing
| for eight wireless devices, live video
| sharing with Qik, 1GB of built-in memory
| and 512 MB RAM, in addition to all the
| typical smartphone specs we've come to
| expect.
`----

http://www.enterprisemobiletoday.com/news/article.php/3872846/HTC-Evo-4G-Gets-Rave-Reviews-at-CTIA.htm

HTC's latest Android phone taps Sprint's 4G network

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Sprint-HTC-Evo-4G/?kc=rss

Android virtualization platform taps security-enhanced hypervisor

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Kernel Labs (OK Labs) announced the
| availability of a mobile virtualization
| reference platform for its Android version
| of the OKL4 microkernel hypervisor
| ("Microvisor"). The Android "One Core"
| platform appears to be the first
| implementation of version 4.0 of OKL4,
| which offers security and performance
| enhancements, says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/OK-Labs-Android-One-Core-and-OKL4-4/

Androidâs Secret Sauce? Googleâs Advertising Rev-Share Deals With Carriers

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, at least part of the answer appears
| to be that Google is sharing advertising
| revenues with carriers that use Android,
| according to multiple sources who are
| familiar with the deals.
`----

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-androids-secret-sauce-googles-little-known-advertising-rev-share-deals-/

No word yet from Google or Verizon of Nexus One

,----[ Quote ]
| Rumours are hot on the subject of Googleâs
| Nexus One being available on the Verizon
| network. Of course with this weekâs CTIA
| Wireless Conference we were expecting to
| have heard more by now.
`----

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2010/03/25/no-word-yet-from-google-or-verizon-of-nexus-one/

Skype Android app for Verizon Available Thursday

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/03/24/skype-android-app-verizon-thursday/

HTC EVO 4G is Sprint's Android-powered knight in superphone armor, we go hands-on

,----[ Quote ]
| We've been rumoring a WiMAX "HTC
| Supersonic" for a while now, and Sprint
| just dropped the hard news: the phone will
| be dubbed the HTC EVO 4G, will be released
| this Summer and it's easily the best
| specced phone we've ever witnessed. The
| hardware is of quite obvious HD2 descent,
| but with Android onboard and some nice
| aesthetic tweaks, the EVO 4G takes on a
| life of its own.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/

DropBox cloud syncing app for Android on the way

,----[ Quote ]
| File syncing service DropBox is set to get
| an Android app very soon, which means that
| another swathe of smartphone users will be
| able to access their Desktop files via the
| cloud.
`----

http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk/news/100323/dropbox-cloud-syncing-app-for-android-on-the-way

Push-to-talk phone runs Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola announced what it says is the
| first push-to-talk phone to run Android.
| The rugged Motorola i1 runs on Sprint's
| iDEN-ready Nextel Direct Connect service,
| and offers a 3.1-inch, 480 x 320
| touchscreen, up to 32GB of flash, WiFi, a
| five-megapixel camera, plus the Opera Mini
| 5 browser running on Android 1.5.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Motorola-i1/?kc=rss

Fast-boot tech claims to load Android or Linux in one second

,----[ Quote ]
| Tokyo-based Ubiquitous Corp. announced the
| availability of an ARM-focused technology
| claimed to load Android or Linux in one
| second. QuickBoot Release 1.0
| preferentially restores memory areas
| necessary for booting from nonvolatile
| storage to RAM, says the company.
|
| QuickBoot, which is available in a Linux
| SDK (see below), is aimed at TVs, STBs,
| automotive infotainment systems,
| smartbooks, and smartphones, says
| Ubiquitous. QuickBoot 1.0 supports ARM9,
| ARM11, and Cortex-A series processors, says
| the company, which develops "compact,
| efficient and high-speed network and
| database software" for embedded devices.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Ubiquitous-QuickBoot/?kc=rss

Nexus One on Android 2.1

,----[ Quote ]
| But right now, the N1/Android 2.1 combo is
| in a really sweet spot.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2010/03/17/Nexus-One

Life at Google

,----[ Quote ]
| At 7:45 AM on Monday the 15th, I and a
| bunch of really nervous-looking new
| employees stood together in a lobby at the
| Googleplex, waiting to be led in. Here are
| some random first-week notes while my eyes
| are still fresh.
|
| This might turn into a series, because I
| recognize that my current employer is sort
| of a technology tourist attraction and
| people might want to read about it. On the
| other hand, it has a culture of very
| cautious communication, so Iâll have to be
| careful.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2010/03/20/Google-Vignettes

Dell Aero â Android Never Looked So Good

,----[ Quote ]
| This phone is announced along side the
| first pair of GSM webOS smartphones, Palm
| Pre and Palm Pixi, to make it to the United
| States.  It also marks the second Android
| phone to come to AT&T since the Motorola
| Backflip. We can only hope that the Dell
| Aero does not follow in the Backflip's
| disastrous footsteps. No release date known
| yet.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/03/22/dell-aero-android-looked-good/

Sprint to announce 'groundbreaking new device' (HTC Supersonic?) tomorrow

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/22/sprint-to-announce-groundbreaking-new-device-htc-supersonic/

MoSync Comes Closer to âOne Tool for All Mobile Platformsâ by Adding Android Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Swedish software company MoSync AB today
| announced support for Android devices in
| its cross-platform mobile development SDK.
`----

http://www.mosync.com/news/2010/03/mosync-comes-closer-one-tool-all-mobile-platforms-adding-android-support

Moto, Sprint to Offer Push-To-Talk Android i1

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola (NYSE: MOT) and Sprint (NYSE: S)
| today released details of a new push-to-
| talk, Android-powered smartphone, the
| Motorola i1, combining the popular
| ruggedized form of the iDen device family
| with the features typically found in
| smartphones.
|
| The curtain was raised on the i1 at CTIA
| 2010, being held this week in Las Vegas,
| and is expected to be available this
| summer. While pricing details were not
| disclosed, the two companies had plenty to
| share in terms of features and
| specifications.
`----

http://www.enterprisemobiletoday.com/features/article.php/3872086/Moto-Sprint-to-Offer-Push-To-Talk-Android-i1.htm

Motorola Roi video demo

,----[ Quote ]
| MOTOROLA'S LATEST Roi Android handset gets
| captured on film by the INQUIRER in an
| exclusive walk through. The Roi is the
| world's first 8-megapixel Google OS powered
| mobile, which is capable of HD video
| capture that can also be displayed directly
| on an HD TV via its built in HDMI port.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1597350/motorola-roi-video-demo

Gesture Search now available for Android 1.6

,----[ Quote ]
| Since we launched Gesture Search on Android
| Market two weeks ago, I've seen quite a bit
| of feedback. For example, some of you have
| requested Gesture Search for earlier
| versions of Android, as well as access to
| it outside the US.
`----

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2010/03/gesture-search-now-available-for.html

Android Market Push Threatens BlackBerry and iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Android will, at some point, move past the
| iPhone and into second place. It will take
| a large number of different handsets to
| accomplish this, so it's safe to say that
| no single Android smartphone will be a
| legitimate "iPhone killer."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191715/android_threatens_blackberry_iphone.html

Google Maps for Android Gets Improved User Interface

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has released version 4.1 of Google
| Maps for Android, adding a constantly-
| updated map wallpaper, tweaking the way
| search results are displayed and adding a
| new Latitude widget for tracking your
| friends.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/191842/google_maps_for_android_gets_improved_user_interface.html?tk=rss_news

Reasons for Root: Report

,----[ Quote ]
| Not quite three weeks ago, I made a request
| in this column for "reasons for root" --
| business arguments why a device
| manufacturer should be willing, perhaps
| even interested, to allow replacement
| firmware and/or root access on their
| devices. That post received a number of
| comments, as did a tweet and a thread on
| the [android-discuss] Google Group.
|
| [...]
|
| Obviously, this report does not include
| every possible argument, specifically
| trying to stay away from emotional or
| ethical points and sticking to business and
| financial ones. I am sure there are more
| ideas and arguments to be made, so I expect
| this report to be a "living document",
| republished periodically, gaining strength
| each time.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/03/22/reasons-root-report/

DailyTech: âHTC Incredible Arriving in 2 Weeksâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking to a member of the DailyTech team,
| a member of Verizon confirmed that the
| provider will be offering the phone just
| two weeks from now.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/03/18/dailytech-htc-incredible-arriving-2-weeks/

Dell Aero claimed to be world's lightest Android phone

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/ATT-Dell-Aero-and-Palm-Pre-Plus-and-Pixi-Plus/?kc=rss