[News] Linux is Everywhere in Devices: Latest Examples

  • Subject: [News] Linux is Everywhere in Devices: Latest Examples
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:27:35 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Lindy USB 3.0 Drives and Docking Station for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| USB 3.0 promises up to 5 Gbit data
| transfers. Manufacturer Lindy now brings
| two SATA hard drive enclosures and a hard
| drive docking/cloning station with USB 3.0
| to the marketplace.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Lindy-USB-3.0-Drives-and-Docking-Station-for-Linux

A Review: Ben NanoNote Gets Small with Embedded Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Qi Hardware was founded in 2009 by several
| former developers and engineers from the
| Openmoko project, which initially set out
| to build a completely-free Linux-based
| mobile phone, but has since turned its
| attention to other projects. Qi's business
| model and product roadmap is decidedly more
| incremental than Openmoko's, perhaps
| reflecting lessons learned from the
| previous company. Qi is self-funded; the
| plan is to use proceeds of Ben sales to
| fund the development on the next NanoNote
| revision as well as other projects.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/netbooks/296251:a-review-ben-nanonote-gets-small-with-embedded-linux

Mobile WiFi routers available in WiMAX, EVDO flavors

,----[ Quote ]
| Franklin Wireless Corp. announced two
| mobile WiFi hotspot routers based on
| embedded Linux that each weigh only 2.46
| ounces. The R526 shares CDMA 1x EVDO Rev.
| A+ bandwidth with WiFi clients while the
| R536 WiMAX Wave II shares WiMAX
| connectivity, says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Franklin-Wireless-R526-and-R536-WiMAX-Wave-II/

coolest (or scariest?) Linux robot ever

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/coolest-linux-robot

Serial device server monitors over 3G networks

,----[ Quote ]
| Opengear announced a new version of its
| Linux-based ACM5000 line of serial device
| servers, claimed to be the first to offer
| remote monitoring over 3G cellular network
| devices. The ACM5004-G is equipped with
| four serial ports, an Ethernet port, and a
| USB port, and supports EDGE, GPRS, GSM,
| HSDA and HSUPA networks.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Opengear-ACM5004G/

Wind River in multicore alliance with Cavium

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River, which is owned by Intel, and
| Cavium will sell versions of Wind Riverâs
| VxWorks and Linux multicore software
| optimised for Caviumâs OCTEON family of
| multicore processors.
|
| âOur partnership no doubt sends a strong
| message to the market about our long-term
| commitment to support multiple generations
| of Cavium products,â said Roger Williams,
| vice president, Alliances and Business
| Development, Wind River.
|
| In November, Cavium Networks agreed to
| acquire MontaVista Software for $50m, in a
| deal which confirms the growing importance
| of Linux software support for processor
| suppliers.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2010/03/26/48298/wind-river-in-multicore-alliance-with-cavium.htm

Korenix Unveils Compact Programmable Embedded VPN Routing Computer JetBox 5430-w

,----[ Quote ]
| Korenix is pleased to release the brand new
| embedded programmable Layer3 Routing
| Computer â JetBox 5430-w with Linux
| computing capabilities and -40 ~80oC wide
| operating temperature range designed to
| provide advanced network performance in
| front-end industrial control applications.
`----

http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/67426/

Paragon Software Group Teams with Iomega

,----[ Quote ]
| With the addition of Paragon NTFS for Linux
| and HFS+ for Linux, users will be able to
| attach their Windows and/or Mac-formatted
| external HDDs to the iConnect Wireless Data
| Station, thereby turning it into an NAS
| device.
`----

http://www.channelprosmb.com/article/17381/Paragon-Software-Group-Teams-with-Iomega/

Ubiquitous demos one-second boot tech

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is hoping to sell the
| technology, which it has developed for
| Linux and Android on ARM-based architecture
| systems, to OEMs and ODMs creating TVs with
| embedded computing technology, set-top
| boxes, highly portable devices such as
| smartphones and smartbooks, and even the
| in-car entertainment industry - although
| has yet to release pricing information.
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2010/03/24/ubiquitous-demos-one-second-boot/1

Man takes photos from space using Â500 digital camera kit

,----[ Quote ]
| The camera was hooked up to a small, Linux-
| based computer that was set to wake up the
| camera at set intervals and snap a picture.
| A GPS unit allowed Harrison to recover his
| camera when the balloon eventually came
| back to Earth.
`----

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digital-cameras/277135/man-takes-photos-from-space-using-500-digital-camera-kit

Hack your Samsung TV, linux guy

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly enough, the official Samsung
| firmware for several different models is
| based off the Linux kernel.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/24/hack-your-samsung-tv-linux-guy/

Cool Linux powered robot boat

,----[ Quote ]
| The Roboat is an autonomous robotic
| sailboat powered by Linux.
`----

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/roboat-linux-boat

Fast-boot tech claims to load Android or Linux in one second

,----[ Quote ]
| Tokyo-based Ubiquitous Corp. announced the
| availability of an ARM-focused technology
| claimed to load Android or Linux in one
| second. QuickBoot Release 1.0
| preferentially restores memory areas
| necessary for booting from nonvolatile
| storage to RAM, says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Ubiquitous-QuickBoot/

Mid-range Android phone sports WVGA display

,----[ Quote ]
| Kyocera Communications announced its first
| Android phone, aiming at the mid-range of
| the market. The Kyocera Zio M6000 is
| equipped with a Qualcomm MSM7627 SoC and
| 3.5-inch WVGA display, plus WiFi, aGPS,
| Bluetooth 2.0, a 3.2-megapixel, video-ready
| camera, and up to six hours of talk time,
| says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Kyocera-Zio-M6000/?kc=rss

Android phone sports four-inch Super AMOLED display

,----[ Quote ]
| Like the Samsung Wave, a smartphone running
| Samsung's home-grown, "Bada" operating
| system, the Android-based Galaxy S offers
| an unnamed 1GHz processor. Several industry
| reports have suggested it's a Samsung
| processor, which would make sense. Our
| guess for both phones is the Cortex-A8-
| based, 45nm-fabricated S5PC110.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Samsung-Galaxy-S-GTI9000-/?kc=rss

PI launches motion controller for PILine motors

,----[ Quote ]
| The software package includes the user
| program PIMikromove, Labview drivers, DLLs
| and support of Linux operating systems.
`----

http://www.manufacturingtalk.com/news/upb/upb106.html

i.MX51 board initialization and memory mapping using the Linux target image builder (LTIB)

,----[ Quote ]
| This application note provides general
| information regarding the board
| initialisation process and the memory
| mapping implementation of the Linux kernel
| using the LTIB in an i.MX51 board support
| package (BSP).
`----

http://www.eetasia.com/login.do?fromWhere=/ART_8800600831_499486_AN_15725770.HTM

JetBox 9532 Linux-ready VPN Router allows users to connect and remotely manage card readers, cameras and speakers

,----[ Quote ]
| Equipped with 4 additional RS232/422/485
| serial ports, the JetBox 9532 Linux-based
| embedded platform allows users to connect
| and remotely manage card readers, cameras,
| speakers and other access and security
| control devices via Ethernet.
`----

http://www.securitypark.co.uk/security_article264233.html

VIVOTEK's first IP surveillance road show is a grand success

,----[ Quote ]
| The introduction of Linux-related
| technology, such as video recorders,
| storage, video management, video analytics,
| I/O controls, and embedded systems were
| also introduced in the road show for the
| first time.
`----

http://www.sourcesecurity.com/news/articles/co-1795-ga.4488.html

Stretch S6000 Family Processors Power New NVR Server From Exacq

,----[ Quote ]
| Stretch Inc., the pioneer and leader in
| software configurable processors, today
| announced that Exacq Technologies, Inc.,
| developers of the exacqVision VMS software
| and systems for video surveillance
| applications, is using Stretch S6000 family
| processors to power its new exacqVision EL-
| S embedded Linux NVR appliance.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/stretch-s6000-family-processors-power-new-nvr-server-from-exacq,1215280.shtml

Opera and Ocean Blue launch HbbTV solution

,----[ Quote ]
| This solution combines the Opera Devices
| SDK for Linux, Operaâs fully compliant
| HbbTV framework and Ocean Blueâs DVB
| middleware, which incorporates HbbTV
| extensions. The resulting package gives
| full flexibility to OEMs, enabling them to
| implement HbbTV portals and services, such
| as ARD/ ZDF Mediathek, Tagesschau and Arte.
`----

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/03/22/opera-and-ocean-blue-launch-hbbtv-solution/

Loewe selects Opera to deliver premium Web technology to connected TVs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opera Software today announced that its
| Opera Devices SDK 10.15 for Linux was
| selected by Loewe, the premium European
| brand in-home entertainment. Opera will
| help Loewe fulfill its promise to deliver
| âinnovation for the sensesâ by providing
| Web browsing, widgets and HbbTV
| implementation on Loewe connected TVs.
`----

http://press-releases.techwhack.com/49418-loewe

Control Issues: Reviewing the Behringer BCF2000 and FCB1010

,----[ Quote ]
| That's it for this week's report. If you've
| been hesitating over the purchase of either
| the BCF/BCR or the FCB, hesitate no longer.
| The units are well-supported by Linux, they
| work beautifully, and software editors are
| available that can help you design more
| creative and effective configurations.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/control-issues-reviewing-behringer-bcf2000-and-fcb1010

Multi-Tech Systems Announces Cellular Development Platform for M2M Applications and Products

,----[ Quote ]
| Set to be available in May 2010, the
| Platform enables developers to bridge
| multiple interfaces and create gateway
| access to the cellular network by
| leveraging Linux-based open source software
| and field-tested, globally approved
| hardware.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/multi-tech-systems-announces-cellular-development-platform-for-m2m-applications-and-products,1217105.shtml

Ubiquitous Corporation Launches "Ubiquitous QuickBoot", as a Break-Through Booting Innovation for Various Embedded Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| By using the epoch-making Ubiquitous
| QuickBoot on ARM platform, Android or Linux
| can boot in 1 second, after turning on the
| power as a "cold" boot.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/ubiquitous-corporation-launches-ubiquitous-quickboot,1217263.shtml

Marvell Moby Tablet - the Linux factor

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs going to be running Linux. Now I love
| Linux. I use it for my web servers, all of
| my thin clients have a light Linux OS, and
| whenever I can get someone to give it a
| shot on their own computers, I hand them a
| live CD. Ubuntu will be the only way that
| these little tablets will be able to run on
| the Marvell chipset and the only way to hit
| that $99 pricepoint (or, for that matter, a
| sub-$200 pricepoint). The Flash
| implementation that Rachel King reported
| rules out Windows 7 Mobile as well.
|
| So Linux it is (and I say Ubuntu because
| that has been well-developed for embedded
| applications and runs the Tonido Plug quite
| handily). The problem with Linux is two-
| fold: 1) Most people donât like it as much
| as I do and teachers will be put off by
| âsomething different.â 2) Development
| efforts in interactive ebooks are favoring
| the iPad and Microsoft slates, not Linux-
| based devices.
|
| While most folks donât realize that their
| Kindles and other e-readers are running
| Linux, they expect these devices to be
| âdifferent.â Over and over, though, Iâve
| encountered users who expect a computer-
| like device to either look like Windows or
| look like OS X.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=3751

Dual-core SOC for thin clients runs Android locally

,----[ Quote ]
| NComputing shipped a SoC (system-on-chip)
| designed for thin clients that will provide
| multimedia-enabled remote access to Windows
| and Linux desktops, and optionally run
| Android 2.1 locally. The $20 Numo SoC is
| based on a dual-core ARM-based CPU, and is
| designed to work with the company's VSpace
| virtualization software.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/NComputing-Numo/?kc=rss

Iris Servers and Velocity Workstations from Pogo Linux Feature 12x Better Performance with Intelâs New Intel Xeon 5600 Processors

,----[ Quote ]
| New Pogo Linux servers and workstations
| built with the new Intel Xeon processor,
| automatically shift the CPU and memory into
| the lowest available power state at any
| given time. In addition to integrated power
| gates for increased energy savings, Pogo
| Linux Intel Xeon 5600 systems automatically
| regulate power consumption and adjust
| system performance to meet application and
| user-environments needs.

Datalight Simplifies Reliable Data Storage for Linux-based Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Datalight announces support for Linux
| kernel versions up to 2.6.29 with new
| versions of FlashFX Tera, the file-system
| independent flash memory manager and
| Reliance Nitro, the highly-reliable, high-
| performance file system.
`----

http://www.dsp-fpga.com/news/Industry+News/21339

Timesys(R) - Preferred Linux Solution Provider for Texas Instruments Processors - Announces Support for the New TMS320DM365 DaVinci(TM) Video Processor

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/timesysr---preferred-linux-solution-provider-for-texas-instruments-processors---announces-support-for-the-new-tms320dm365-davincitm-video-processor-88424672.html

Cool: Or Hot? Linux really making your coffee, live a linux coffee machine

,----[ Quote ]
| Too bad it's only for professional use the
| HGZ Linux based coffee machine. I'd love to
| have on of these. A Dream come true. The
| Linux coffee maker.
`----

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/linux-coffee-machine

3D-ready IPTV SoC sports three app processors

,----[ Quote ]
| ViXS says each of the XCode 4210's
| application processors runs its own RTOS
| (real time operating system)
| simultaneously. However, the MIPS core runs
| Linux 2.6.28, with support for the Linux
| DVB driver subsystem.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/ViXS-XCode-4210/?kc=rss

HD video chip gains Linux development framework support

,----[ Quote ]
| Timesys announced that its LinuxLink
| development framework for custom embedded
| Linux devices supports the Texas
| Instruments (TI) TMS320DM365 DaVinci video
| processor. The LinuxLink for DM365 service
| offers Linux development tools and a pre-
| integrated build environment for the ARM-
| based chip, says Timesys.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Timesys-LinuxLink-for-TI-DM365/?kc=rss

Wind River extends support for MIPS64 SoCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Wind-River-and-Cavium-Networks-partnership/