[News] E-Readers Running Linux Expand

Kindles Come to Classroom in Ghana

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the idea behind the Worldreader
| project, which has just put 20 Kindles into
| a school of 11 to 14-year-olds. I know what
| youâre thinking: Whatâs wrong with paper
| books? Why do they need this expensive,
| fancy gadgetry? Because paper books take a
| long time to replace. These schools are on
| a 5-year book-renewal cycle right now. A
| Kindle, although pricy to start,
| essentially gives access to thousands of
| free, public domain books.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/kindles-come-to-classroom-in-ghana/

Atom-based tablet runs Android, targets publishers

,----[ Quote ]
| A Berlin-based software company is
| preparing an Intel Atom N450-based e-reader
| that runs Linux with Android extensions.
| Billed as the "tablet PC for publishing
| houses," Neofonie GmbH's "WePad" tablet
| sports an 11.6-inch touchscreen, 16GB of
| flash storage, a SD card, WiFi, Bluetooth,
| USB, and a webcam, says Neofonie.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Neofonie-WePad/

Alex eReader set to ship two weeks after iPad

,----[ Quote ]
| Spring Design's Alex eReader is one of
| those products that probably would have
| gotten a lot more attention had it managed
| to come out before Apple's iPad. However,
| as it stands, the $399 Android-powered
| device, which features both a 6-inch e-ink
| display and a 3.5-inch, 16-bit color touch-
| screen LCD, is scheduled to ship in the
| middle of April and threatens to get
| overshadowed by the iPad's arrival on April
| 3.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20000584-1.html

Introducing the enTourage eDGeâ

http://www.entourageedge.com/devices/entourage-edge.html

Recent:

3G wireless eReader from Irex aims to tackle Amazon's Kindle

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the handheld reader will connect to Windows
| PCs through the USB port, its underlying platform will
| be built on Linux for "open development," he said.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/3G-wireless-eReader-from-Irex-aims-to-tackle-Amazons-Kindle/1253737925

eReader on Android Soon, Planned for Palm Pre Later

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://jkontherun.com/2009/06/10/ereader-on-android-soon-planned-for-palm-pre-later/