[News] ARM Meets Linux and Makes Symbiotic Relationship

  • Subject: [News] ARM Meets Linux and Makes Symbiotic Relationship
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:01:12 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google extends ARM to browser natives

,----[ Quote ]
| Chrome OS is set to arrive in the fall on
| x86 and, yes, ARM netbooks. Google first
| unveiled Native Client in December 2008,
| calling it "a technology that aims to give
| web developers access to the full power of
| the client's CPU while maintaining the
| browser neutrality, OS portability, and
| safety that people expect from web
| applications". Then, in October of last
| year, it slipped the plug-in into its
| Chrome browser, which serves as the
| centerpiece for Chrome OS. The OS is
| essentially Chrome running atop the
| company's Goobuntu flavor of Linux.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/18/google_native_client_on_arm/

ARM Helps Bridge the Gap between Consumer Products and Automotive Infotainment

,----[ Quote ]
| ARM and its extensive Partner ecosystem can
| now leverage its considerable knowledge and
| experience working with a wide range of
| these elements, together with many years of
| Linux-based open source collaborations, to
| deliver innovation and diversity to enhance
| the end-user automotive experience.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/arm-helps-bridge-the-gap-between-consumer-products-and-automotive-infotainment-2010-03-22?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Netbooks Decline or ARMâs Ascent?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Atomic netbooks are still too pricey,
| heavy and brutal. Many consumers
| considering buying a netbook may be waiting
| for the expected flock of new offerings
| with ARM power, a kind of hardware-
| vapourware. The netbook will continue to
| have a growing market, just not with x86.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/03/28/netbooks-decline-or-arms-ascent/

Scaling Arm Chips

,----[ Quote ]
| TFA also does hint that with ARM it is
| conceivable that devices for power users
| and servers are just around the corner. In
| the Year of ARM, all things are possible.
| AMD and Intel are now producing chips with
| multiple cores each of which is more
| powerful than necessary. ARM can just walk
| in and take up slack because there is no
| way Wintel can offer more than ARM can. We
| see that in smartbooks now. There are more
| apps available for ARM on smartbooks than
| that other OS because developers can move
| phone apps to ARM on a smartbook very
| easily. There are tons of phone apps out
| there.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/03/29/scaling-arm-chips/

Recent: