[News] More Praises and Presence of Free Software

  • Subject: [News] More Praises and Presence of Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:08:19 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GParted is such sweet software

,----[ Quote ]
| What are some good practices for managing a
| successful project? âYou need to keep an
| open mind while carefully listening to what
| others have to say,â advises Curtis Gedak.
| âKeeping your cool and remaining patient is
| also essential to understanding a
| perspective that might differ from your
| own. And remember to recognize the
| contributions of individuals, and to
| provide credit for accomplishments where
| credit is due.â Those words of wisdom â and
| some pretty useful software â have
| propelled the project Gedak manages,
| GParted, to a spot on the weekly Tops
| Downloads list on SourceForge.net.
| GPartedâs latest release came out last
| week.
`----

http://sourceforge.net/blog/gparted-is-such-sweet-software/

Ten ways our world is becoming more Shareable

,----[ Quote ]
| 7. Free and Open Source Software (FOSS).
| FOSS and the Internet have a symbiotic
| relationship. The Internet would not have
| been possible without FOSS. And the growth
| of FOSS relies on the Internet to power its
| peer production and distribution model.
| Over 270 million people use the Firefox
| browser. Half of the worldâs Web sites,
| about 112 million, run on Apache Server. A
| quarter million websites, including this
| one, run on Drupal, a leading open source
| content management system.
`----

http://opensource.com/life/10/3/ten-ways-our-world-more-shareable

Mario Goes Open-Source with Arduino

,----[ Quote ]
| The open-source Arduino electronics
| platform has received a ton of attention
| from the hardware enthusiast community. And
| one more follower is joining the fray--
| Mario himself. The mustachioed plumber of
| console video game fame has been converted
| into an eight-by-eight LED matrix by
| Carnegie Mellon University student Chloe
| Fan. And, yes, she's even made a separate
| Arduino device to give her side-scrolling
| adventure the classic Mario theme.

Why Community Projects Need CRM Too

,----[ Quote ]
| You might think of customer relationship
| management (CRM) software as something
| that's only useful for businesses, but it
| can play an important role in the health of
| a community project as well.
|
| Think of it not as "customer" relationship
| management, but community management
| software. In every community I've worked
| with, there's been a revolving cast of
| participants who each have contact with a
| slice of the internal community and
| external contacts for that community. Think
| about everything from managing conferences
| and sponsorships, to working with other
| open projects.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/why-community-projects-need-crm-too

Google Summer of Code 2010 Mentors Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The role of a mentoring organization is to
| provide a list of projects for students to
| choose from, and shepherd a student through
| the Summer of Code process. The
| organization is also expected to provide
| feedback and a written evaluation of the
| student's work, as well as make sure work
| is down well and turned in on time.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/google-summer-of-code-2010-mentors-announced

Why Webscale Companies Need open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Facebook, et. al., would not be possible
| today if it weren't for open source
| software. Commodity hardware and open
| source software have provided the fertile
| breeding ground for Web-scale sites like
| Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and others. Of
| course they're going to turn to open source
| for the next generation of software. Had
| the initial stack of software they rely on
| been proprietary, their existence wouldn't
| have been possible. But these companies
| have enjoyed the control and flexibility
| that open source enables and they are
| wisely choosing to invest their profits
| into more of the same.
|
| Web companies should absolutely, and fully,
| commit themselves to rolling their own code
| or hitching their wagon to existing open
| source solutions. The alternative is to
| cede an unhealthy amount of control over
| their infrastructure to outside parties.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/why-webscale-companies-need-open-source

Must-have Open Source Applications for Writers

http://linuxbeacon.com/doku.php?id=articles:writerapps

Bursting with reports to deliver? Hereâs a tool for you

,----[ Quote ]
| DocumentBurster is a light, loosely coupled
| free report-bursting tool that lets you
| automate high-volume document delivery to
| customers, vendors, employees, and
| prospects. You can pay the big money to buy
| a similar solution from the likes of
| Oracle, IBM, or BusinessObjects, or you can
| turn to this open source application.
`----

http://sourceforge.net/blog/bursting-with-reports-to-deliver-heres-a-tool-for-you/

Why Open Source and Operations Matter in Cloud Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week, IBM announced a cloud
| computing program offering development and
| test services for companies and
| governments. That doesnât sound like much,
| yet on closer inspection itâs a flagstone
| in the march toward a comprehensive cloud
| offering at Big Blue. It also demonstrates
| how operational efficiency is a competitive
| weapon in our service economy. Let me
| explain.
`----

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/blogs/browse/2010/03/why-open-source-and-operations-matter-cloud-computing

Open source makes another move on Wall Street

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source has made its third big move on
| Wall Street with Bloombergâs decision to
| open source its proprietary stock
| identifiers alongside NYSE-Euronext data
| streams.
|
| I say third because Marketceteraâs open
| source trading platform, under the GPL, has
| been gold for almost a year. A SaaS version
| of Marketcetera for portfolio management
| was also released last year. (They must be
| working hard there â their latest blog post
| is dated November.)
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6078

Comcast Rolls Out Open Source Tech for IPv6

,----[ Quote ]
| What will it take to get Americans to use
| IPv6 (define)?
|
| For one thing, it will require broadband
| providers like Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) to
| help users be fully enabled on IPv6 while
| still being able to access IPv4 content.
| That's where the new open source Address
| Family Transition Router (AFTR) software
| comes into play.
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/news/article.php/3871801/

Google Releases Free Web Security Scanner

,----[ Quote ]
| Though skipfish performs the same functions
| as other open-source scanning tools like
| Nikto and Nessus, Google engineer Michal
| Zalewski argues that skipfish has a several
| advantages.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/app-security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224000223

STMicroelectronics speaker at SHARE on-line event

,----[ Quote ]
| We're happy to promote this one - a SHARE
| SIG on-line event. The organisation's
| slogan is 'Improving European Embedded
| System Industry through Open Source SW
| Sharing'.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/open-source-linux/2010/03/stmicroelectronics-speaker-at-share-on-line-event.html

Ex-MySQL Chief Marten Mickos Lands New CEO Job

,----[ Quote ]
| Mickos is staying in the open-source world
| but jumping on a newer computing trend --
| cloud computing. Eucalyptus makes an open-
| source software platform for building
| private clouds, or data centers in which
| workloads can be moved around across
| different systems to maximize efficiency.
|
| The company's software is used as the cloud
| platform for the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud, a
| software package that includes Ubuntu's
| open-source operating system. It is also
| designed to work smoothly with Amazon Web
| Services and other public cloud services.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/191977/exmysql_chief_marten_mickos_lands_new_ceo_job.html

Open season

,----[ Quote ]