[News] Review of OpenOffice.org 3.2 and Other New Wins for the Software

  • Subject: [News] Review of OpenOffice.org 3.2 and Other New Wins for the Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:18:43 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Reviewed: OpenOffice.org 3.2

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a new version of Linux's grandest
| office suite, but is it a major step
| forward or just another humdrum release
| with little to show? And most importantly,
| does it finally get the startup time down
| to an acceptable level? Read on for all the
| gory details...
|
| Office suites lack glamour. They're
| perfunctory, practical and prosaic. They
| remind us of real work, mundane chores and
| things that need to be done. But that's
| also why they're essential and why
| OpenOffice.org is a vital part of the free
| software ecosystem, whether it innovates or
| not.
|
| OOo 3.2 is a step in the right direction.
| Firstly, it's a lot faster. Version 3.2 of
| Writer launched more than 50% quicker than
| 3.1 in our tests, down to 3.4 seconds from
| around 7 with a fresh reboot. That alone
| makes a big difference, but the UI also
| seems to be more responsive. We used Writer
| exclusively over the last couple of weeks,
| and there's an almost imperceptible
| improvement in the on-screen typing
| latency, which can really help if you
| create a lot of words.
|
| [...]
|
| Our verdict: Still the best, most
| comprehensive office suite available on
| Linux. 8/10
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/reviewed-openofficeorg-32

OpenOffice in Afrikaans

,----[ Quote ]
| Translate.org.za has recently released
| local language versions of OpenOffice.org
| which give users a full set of office tools
| including a word processor, spreadsheet,
| presentation tool and a drawing
| application.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/11845.html

OpenOffice.org Italian Association Thanks Tax Payers!

,----[ Quote ]
| The Italian revenue agency has just
| released the list of ONLUS and volunteer
| organizations that are eligible for tax
| payersâ donations (5 per mille), and PLIO,
| the Italian OpenOffice.org association born
| in 2007 ,is among them!
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2010/03/19/openofficeorg-italian-association-thanks-tax-payers/

AbiWord: Like MS Word but Without the Junk

,----[ Quote ]
| Choices for word processing applications
| abound for Linux users, but many of them
| are little more than glorified rich-text
| editors. AbiWord has the look and feel of a
| polished application like Microsoft Word
| but without the unneeded complexities that
| can bog some writers down.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/AbiWord-Like-MS-Word-but-Without-the-Junk-69603.html

Are Microsoft Office and OpenOffice irrelevant?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10471565-16.html