[News] Free Software Saved from Oracle's Plans, OpenSolaris Loses Advantage Over GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Saved from Oracle's Plans, OpenSolaris Loses Advantage Over GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:17:41 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

OpenSSO becomes OpenAM

,----[ Quote ]
| This entry in the not403 blog discusses
| OpenSSO, a single sign-on project which
| Oracle acquired from Sun and has
| subsequently shut down.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/379508/rss

Oracle clamps down on Sun hardware support contracts

,----[ Quote ]
| "This sudden about-face in which Oracle
| wants a support contract for essentially
| any use of Solaris will make me think long
| and hard about deploying Solaris instead of
| Linux or another free OS in the future,"
| said Bill Bradford, a senior systems
| administrator at an energy services firm in
| Houston, Texas.
`----

http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid80_gci1507537,00.html

Oracle's OpenSolaris 2010.03 Is M.I.A.

,----[ Quote ]
| We've known that Oracle is to make some
| Solaris / OpenSolaris changes, but all
| signs have been that they would move
| forward with the OpenSolaris 2010.03
| release in March as planned. OpenSolaris
| 2010.03 will supersede OpenSolaris 2009.06
| that was released last June.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODEwNw

Daily Dose - Solaris 10 License Change

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Solaris 10 was previously available for
| free without support after submitting a
| valid email.  With the Sun acquisition
| finalized, Oracle has only given customers
| a 90-day free trial of Solaris 10, hoping
| to gain some paying customers from those
| with existing Solaris 10 systems.  This
| change could lead to a mass migration to
| Linux vendors.  Most of Linux's new
| customers come from Unix migrations, and
| Solaris 10 is the largest Unix platform.
`----

http://news.dzone.com/dose/dzone-daily-dose-329

OOo at CeBIT

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/ooo_at_cebit

License change leaves Sun Solaris users at a crossroads

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle's decision to limit Solaris 10's
| free usage to 90 days could be a boon for
| Linux vendors
|
| Recent changes to Solaris licensing could
| further encourage Solaris 10 users to
| consider Linux -- and result in fewer new
| users considering Solaris at all. If you're
| a Solaris customer, don't overlook this
| license change.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/license-change-leaves-sun-solaris-users-crossroads-858

Oracle endorses faster Java changes

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is committed to whipping the Java
| Community Process into shape, but it looks
| like a limited workout's on the agenda.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/24/oracle_jcp_changes/

Oracle Announces Latest Release of Oracle Berkeley DB

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Oracle announced the latest release
| of Oracle Berkeley DB, the high-
| performance, small footprint open source
| embeddable database engine for mission-
| critical âedgeâ applications.
`----

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/063695

Oracle/Sun Enforces Pay-For-Security-Updates Plan

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/10/03/23/1422215/OracleSun-Enforces-Pay-For-Security-Updates-Plan