[News] Databases Derived from MySQL and Oracle's Commitment

  • Subject: [News] Databases Derived from MySQL and Oracle's Commitment
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:15:57 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The history of MySQL AB

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL, the open source database product
| that puts the "M" in LAMP, was created by
| MySQL AB, a company founded in 1995 in
| Sweden. In 2008, MySQL AB announced that it
| had agreed to be acquired by Sun
| Microsystems for approximately $1 billion.
`----

http://buytaert.net/the-history-of-mysql-ab

10gen Announces Commercial Support for MongoDB

,----[ Quote ]
| 10gen, the company that started the MongoDB
| project, today announced commercial support
| and training for MongoDB. MongoDB is an
| open source, non-relational, document-
| oriented database used in production at
| organizations including Boxed Ice,
| SourceForge, Justin.tv, GitHub, Business
| Insider and Disqus.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/10gen-announces-commercial-support-for-mongodb,1223908.shtml

Rackspace Cloud 'Drizzles' Into Open-Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| As Oracle continues to shed the former
| open-source software personnel of Sun
| Microsystems, other companies are
| benefiting from the transition. Among those
| is cloud computing and hosting vendor
| Rackspace, which recently hired four of the
| key open source developers behind the
| Drizzle database effort, a spin-off from
| the Sun-owned MySQL database.
|
| Rackspace uses MySQL today in its
| infrastructure but has said that it sees
| its limitations when it comes to cloud
| deployments. That's the reason behind the
| company's interest in Drizzle. In some
| ways, Drizzle is an enhanced version of
| MySQL, providing additional cloud
| scalability features, but Rackspace said
| the project is not quite ready for prime
| time yet -- but with its investment, it's
| hoping to help get it there.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3872236/Rackspace-Cloud-Drizzles-Into-Open-Source-Software.htm

Terracotta and EnterpriseDB Partner to Deliver Unmatched Price and Performance Advantages for Private Cloud Data Management

,----[ Quote ]
| As organizations seek to move applications
| to private cloud environments, they are
| also reassessing the technical and economic
| viability of their current IT platforms. As
| a result, organizations are seeking open
| source-based solutions that are cost
| effective and can provide the scalability
| and elasticity to meet the demands of a
| cloud computing environment.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/terracotta-and-enterprisedb-partner-to,1219626.shtml

Does Oracle mean end for MySQL?

,----[ Quote ]
| Basically it means that Oracle does see a
| future for the open-source version of
| MySQL, as long as it does not conflict with
| the roadmap for its own proprietary
| database tools. How Oracle handles this
| remains to be seen. When contacted, Oracle
| refused to make any comments, though in an
| earlier analyst call, Oracle CEO - Larry
| Ellison, had said that 'Oracle will make
| MySQL better', with Edward Screven,
| Oracle's chief open-source architect,
| promising that Oracle will continue to
| support the open-source MySQL database.
`----

http://www.cxotoday.com/Features/IT/ITeS/Storage_&_Data_Management/Does_Oracle_mean_end_for_MySQL/551-110155-21500.html

Oracle-Sun: An Insiderâs View for Sun Partners

,----[ Quote ]
| I continue to be impressed with Oracleâs
| commitment to partners and extremely
| excited by the new business opportunities
| the acquisition can provide to Sunâs value
| added partner community.
|
| Sunâs channel partners are some of the best
| companies in the industry. As they move
| from the Sun Partner Advantage Program to
| Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) Specialized, I
| think they will be impressed with what OPN
| Specialized can offer â providing their
| business with the ability to differentiate
| themselves across the Oracle product
| portfolio, including Sun servers and
| storage.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/03/24/oracle-sun-an-insiders-view-for-sun-partners/

Free software's second era: The rise and fall of MySQL

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Free-software-s-second-era-The-rise-and-fall-of-MySQL-959718.html

Where did all of the MySQL Developers Go?

,----[ Quote ]
| The vast majority are still at Oracle, some
| have left, but plenty are still there. This
| got me thinking about "who wrote what".
| Innodb is a sizable piece of code and it
| continues to be at Oracle. Without Innodb,
| you don't really have a database that is
| 24/7. Innodb has been there for years.
`----

http://krow.livejournal.com/687521.html

Russia approves Oracle, Sun merger with conditions

,----[ Quote ]
| Russia's anti-monopoly regulator (FAS) said
| on Friday it had approved a $7 billion
| takeover of Sun Microsystems JAVA.O by
| Oracle (ORCL.O) on condition that Oracle
| continues to develop Sun's MySQL database.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE62I1GS20100319

MySQL's new best friend forever? Oracle

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL still has one major ally, however,
| and it's the one that most people thought
| was its biggest enemy:
|
| Oracle.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10469908-16.html

Time flies (one year of MariaDB)

,----[ Quote ]
| It is now one year since a few colleagues
| and I left Sun to start our own company,
| Monty Program Ab (after which more have
| joined). A lot has changed during the year.
| For instance we ended up producing a full
| fork of MySQL rather than focusing on the
| Maria engine as I planned a year ago.
|
| This February we released the first stable
| version of MariaDB, version 5.1.42, which
| is our enhanced and backwards compatible
| MySQL branch/fork. You can download it from
| the askmonty.org website. Please test it
| out and comment upon it here or on
| Launchpad, the code host for the MariaDB
| project.
`----

http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2010/03/time-flies-one-year-of-mariadb.html

Kiss your MySQL website goodbye

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact is that if you run a business
| website, you need to perform proper
| backups, and not just the stuff that gets
| put on a tape and thrown in a closet each
| evening.
|
| I am writing this article specifically for
| those beginning Linux web administrators
| who need to know how to properly backup
| their website. Just because you're new to
| Linux and web serving does not mean it is
| difficult or that you should try to avoid
| performing proper website backups.
`----

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/kisswebsitebye.shtml

Recent: