[News] A Look at Firefox 3.7 and Other Mozilla Software

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Firefox 3.7 and Other Mozilla Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:13:13 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

7 Cool Firefox Add-ons

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the coolest things about Firefox is
| its extensibility. Everyone has their
| collection of favorite Firefox add-ons and
| I thought I would share mine. Some provide
| improved organization, some have a certain
| "WOW!" factor, and others just look pretty.
`----

http://thelinuxbox.org/news.php?2010/03/27/7-cool-firefox-add-ons.html

Mozilla Developers Talk Up Firefox as a Key Development Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| For many users of Mozilla's open source
| Firefox Web browser, Firefox is simply a
| tool for looking at Web content. For
| others, Firefox is an enabling tool to
| actually help develop content and code for
| the Web.
|
| This week, Mozilla released the results of
| a developer survey it conducted in November
| 2009. The survey received responses from
| 5,054 developers spread across 119
| countries and provides some insights into
| how developers work with Firefox -- and
| what about Firefox makes it so critical as
| a tool for developing.
`----

http://www.developer.com/open/article.php/3873236/Mozilla-Developers-Talk-Up-Firefox-as-a-Key-Development-Tool.htm

Firefox 3.7 Alpha 4 Pre

http://www.inatux.com/article?r=firefox-3.7-alpha-4-pre

10 Reasons Why Firefox Could Beat Microsoft Internet Explorer

,----[ Quote ]
| 2. Extensions
|
| Part of Mozilla's appeal is its library of
| extensions. Users can easily find
| extensions ranging from business
| integration to social networks that extend
| the functionality of the browser far beyond
| its default installation. Extensions can't
| be underestimated. If users can find value
| in their extensions, they won't leave
| Firefox. It's a major advantage to have as
| Microsoft is losing its own users.
|
| 3. It's open source
|
| Although the average, mainstream user might
| not care about Mozilla being open source,
| it really does matter. Open-source software
| is widely considered superior to closed
| applications, thanks to the ability for the
| entire community to work on improving a
| single piece of software. Closed software,
| like Internet Explorer, is a different
| story altogether. Since it's closed
| software that only Microsoft can work on,
| it lacks the benefit of having thousands of
| eyes working on improving it. The browser
| is also a major target for hackers.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Enterprise-Applications/10-Reasons-Why-Firefox-Could-Beat-Microsoft-Internet-Explorer-608358/

Firefox Mobile: Where it stands now

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla continues to actively develop for
| Nokia's Maemo/MeeGo platform, the host of
| the first-ever Firefox for Mobile 1.0. The
| problem is that Firefox is far from being
| widely available in its cell phone-friendly
| form, extensions and all. The Nokia
| platform's short reach makes up just a
| fraction of the mobile market, and Firefox
| is only available on two devices--the Nokia
| N900 and the N810 Internet Tablet.
`----

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19882_7-20001042-251.html

Using Mozilla Prism to Run Web Apps like Local Apps on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Web-based applications are fantastic,
| except for that whole "running in the
| browser" thing. Looking to free your
| browser-based apps from your Web browsing?
| Take a look at Mozilla Prism.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7016/1/

How Thunderbird 3 works on Mac OS X: Better than Apple Mail?

,----[ Quote ]
| The one place where Thunderbird blows Mail
| out of the water is with the add-ons. Using
| the add-ons, you can GPG sign mail using
| the Enigmail add-on; you can sync contacts
| with Gmail or Zimbra using the Zindus add-
| on; and expand tiny URLs (via URL
| shortening services) using TheRealURL.
| Looking at the Thunderbird add-ons page,
| there truly is something for everyone: with
| over 640 âmiscellaneousâ add-ons alone, how
| could there not be?
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/mac/?p=409

Mozilla ditches support for aged SeaMonkey 1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has dropped support for version 1.0
| of its four-year-old internet app suite,
| SeaMonkey.
|
| The open source browser maker pushed out a
| second iteration of SeaMonkey last autumn,
| so 1.0's demise was all but inevitable.
|
| Mozilla confirmed yesterday that its
| modern-day take on Netscape Communicator
| had moved on significantly enough since it
| first released the tool in January 2006 for
| its project developers to discontinue
| support for SeaMonkey 1.0.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/17/seamonkey_1_0_support_dropped/

Firefox 3.7 Alpha 3 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| A Mozilla developer preview of Gecko 1.9.3
| has been released. The release comes in the
| form of a nightly build of Firefox 3.7
| alpha 3. The new build introduces several
| new features including an experimental
| Direct 2D for the Windows builds of
| Firefox, JavaScript api improvements,
| stability and security improvements as well
| as additional fixes for multi-process
| plugins.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/20/firefox-3-7-alpha-3-released/