[News] Freedom Principles Spread to Research, Data, and More

  • Subject: [News] Freedom Principles Spread to Research, Data, and More
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:23:06 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

CDK-Taverna: an open workflow environment for cheminformatics

,----[ Quote ]
| To freely support open science based on
| these data resources, it is desirable for
| the processing tools to be open-source and
| available for everyone.
`----

http://7thspace.com/headlines/339848/cdk_taverna_an_open_workflow_environment_for_cheminformatics.html

Base Map 2.0: What Does the Head of the US Census Say to Open Street Map?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ian White, the CEO of Urban Mapping, makes
| his living collecting and selling geo data.
| For next week's Where 2.0 has put together
| a panel of government mapping agencies (the
| UK's Ordnance Survey and the US's Census
| Department) and community-built mapping
| projects (Open Street Map and Waze).
| Crowdsourced projects like Waze and Open
| Street Map have forced civic agencies to
| reconsider their licensing. They have
| similarly encouraged larger companies like
| Google, NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas to implement
| their own crowdsourcing platforms (like
| Google Mapmaker and Tele Atlas' MapShare).
| Ian and his panelists will discuss all of
| this in Base Map 2.0 on Thursday at Where
| 2.0 - you can consider their conversation
| as Part 1 of the panel.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/03/base-map-20-what-does-the-head.html

Open Source Ethics and Dead End Derivatives

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source Hardware is hardware that has
| an open license. You can copy it, develop
| it, and even sell it yourself. You must
| provide attribution to the designer and you
| must also release the derivative source
| files under the same license. This applies
| even if you use a proprietary program for
| your designs.
`----

http://blog.makerbot.com/2010/03/25/open-source-ethics-and-dead-end-derivatives/

Search engine collects historical resources

,----[ Quote ]
| A search engine is being created to help
| historians find useful sources.
|
| The Connected History project will link up
| currently separate databases of source
| materials.
|
| Once complete, it will give academics or
| members of the public a single site that
| lets them search all the collections.

The Cass Sunstein Campaign against Open Source Leaks

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no evidence Sunsteinâs theories of
| governmental information control have to do
| with the apparent increasing persecution of
| open source leak outlets, but it does seem
| to stem from the same kind of authoritarian
| instinct.
`----

http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2010/03/26/the-cass-sunstein-campaign-against-open-source-leaks/

New Wikipedia Redesign Is Coming Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikipedia is close to rolling out a new
| design that it hopes will make the âuser-
| editedâ encyclopedia easier to use and
| navigate, and thus potentially appeal to
| new users more than the slightly clunky-
| looking current site.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2010/03/25/new-wikipedia-redesign-is-coming-soon/

Collaborative Futures

,----[ Quote ]
| FLOSS Manuals, true to its name, produces
| manuals for free software applications. The
| manuals themselves are freely licensed and
| often written in book sprints. This
| January, as part of the Transmediale
| festival in Berlin, FLOSS Manuals attempted
| its first non-manual booksprint â a
| considerably harder task, as no structure
| is implied. Only the book title,
| Collaborative Futures, was given â a
| collaborative experiment about the future
| of collaboration.

Time to get the bike out â Kids traffic safety curriculum goes open source

,----[ Quote ]
| In the midst of Treena Grevattâs twitter
| reminders of the early start of cycling in
| Ottawa (and her retweets of wise words and
| links such as this to remind motorists like
| me!), it was encouraging to read the recent
| story entitled Kids traffic safety
| curriculum goes open source.
`----

http://commonsresource.wordpress.com/2010/03/26/time-to-get-out-the-bike-kids-traffic-safety-curriculum-goes-open-source/

The Battle for Scholarly Publishing's Soul

,----[ Quote ]
| Before Peter Suber became Mr Open Access,
| he was a philosopher by trade. This is
| evident in the long, thoughtful essays he
| writes for the SPARC Open Access
| Newsletter, which help console us for his
| absence these days from the world of
| blogging.
|
| Here's the latest of them, entitled "Open
| access, markets, and missions". It asks
| some deep questions about what kind of
| scholarly publishing we should strive for:
| market oriented or mission oriented?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/03/battle-for-scholarly-publishings-soul.html

Free: Why Authors are Giving Books Away on the Internet

http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/IR&CISOPTR=809

Sales Impact of Free eBooks Dissertation Published

,----[ Quote ]
| Dr. John Hilton, who until just recently
| was a doctoral student of mine, has written
| a great dissertation on the impact giving
| away free ebooks has on sales of printed
| books. The findings may surprise you.
`----

http://opencontent.org/blog/archives/1313

Apple's iPad to launch with 30,000-volume free library

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's e-book reader application, iBooks,
| may be more widely available than
| anticipated, thanks to the inclusion of
| more than 30,000 free e-books from Project
| Gutenberg.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/03/26/apple_ipad_project_gutenberg/

Cologne-based libraries release 5.4 million bibliographic records via CC0

,----[ Quote ]
| From the press release,
|
|     Rolf Thiele, deputy director of the USB
|     Cologne, states: âLibraries appreciate
|     the Open Access movement because they
|     themselves feel obliged to provide
|     access to knowledge without barriers.
|     Providing this kind of access for
|     bibliographic data, thus applying the
|     idea of Open Access to their own
|     products, has been disregarded until
|     now. Up to this point, it was not
|     possible to download library catalogues
|     as a whole. This will now be possible.
|     We are taking a first step towards a
|     worldwide visibility of library
|     holdings on the internet.â
|     âIn times in which publishers and some
|     library organisations see data
|     primarily as a source of capital, it is
|     important to stick up for the
|     traditional duty of libraries and
|     librarians. Libraries have always
|     strived to make large amounts of
|     knowledge accessible to as many people
|     as possible, with the lowest
|     restrictions possible,â said Silke
|     Schomburg, deputy director of the hbz.
|     âFurthermore libraries are funded by
|     the public. And what is publicly
|     financed should be made available to
|     the public without restrictions,â she
|     continued.

Finding God Through Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Regardless of your own feelings, there are
| people who find that this open source
| religion to be more reasonable and in line
| with their own spiritual and world outlook.
| From my investigation, a large number of
| these people are somewhat "geeky" in nature
| and have been exposed to open source
| principles through the open source software
| movement. But that doesn't make it any less
| real for them.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/58925

Mapping software developed by Idaho State University, USU is international hit

,----[ Quote ]
| This free, open-source software is so
| popular that the ISU geosciences department
| will host the 1st International MapWindow
| GIS Users and Developers Conference March
| 31-April 2 at Disney World in Orlando, Fla.
| At least 60 users and developers from
| around the world are expected to attend the
| conference. Attendees include
| representatives from the Environmental
| Protection Agency, National Oceanic and
| Atmospheric Administration and several
| private companies and universities.
`----

http://www.agweekly.com/articles/2010/03/24/news/ag_news/news31.txt

Eyes wide shut?

,----[ Quote ]
| A debate is underway among the proponents
| and gainsayers of open access about the
| reality of whether OA leads to more
| citations. I am not over-concerned with
| citations as they are not the sole
| indicators of the usage of research output.
| As one of the contributors has said, there
| is an âinvisible collegeâ within which
| data, methodology, ideas are shared among
| researchers via conferences, coffee-breaks,
| workshops, emails, reports, social
| networking and other communication devices.
| While this âcollegeâ informs, it is seldom
| cited.
|
| Another statement made in these exchanges
| was that âopen access is a solution looking
| for a problemâ. This stopped me in my
| tracks, since over the last decade,
| evidence has been accumulating showing the
| high level of information imbalance and
| paucity, especially - but by no means only
| - in the developing world. And it was for
| this reason that the EPT and many other
| initiatives were formed to help resolve the
| problem. It is indisputable that access to
| all necessary research findings had not
| been met in pre-web days. Researchers, we
| had a problem.
`----

http://epublishingtrust.blogspot.com/2010/03/eyes-wide-shut.html

Sharing Ideas about Open Philanthropy

,----[ Quote ]
| As regular readers of this blog will know,
| for the last five years or so I have been
| tracking the diffusion of the ideas behind
| open source into other spheres. I'm
| particularly interested to see what does
| and does not translate easily to other
| domains.
|
| Here's another application: open
| philanthropy.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/03/sharing-ideas-about-open-philanthropy.html

Making Public Records Public: Why open formats are essential for sharing and preserving government data.

,----[ Quote ]
| Governments worldwide have taken great
| strides in improving the accessibility of
| public information in the last year, but
| itâs just the beginning. Opening of
| government information will be a gradual
| process, but these initial steps and
| realized success have enough momentum to
| accelerate this process â making both
| governance and citizenship better in near
| future.
`----

http://opensource.com/government/10/3/making-public-records-public-why-open-formats-are-essential-sharing-and-preserving-g

How to Spark a Snowcrash, & What the Web Really Does

,----[ Quote ]
| In order to understand the implications of
| the shift and to internalize it, you need
| to experience it firsthand. You canât tell
| your organization that youâre going to be
| implementing âsocial mediaâ and everyone is
| going to start âcollaborating,â and assume
| that waving a magic wand is going to make
| this happen. My experience has been that I
| had to learn what trusting and sharing
| means on my own.
|
| [...]
|
| What does society reward? Cheating.
| Stealing. Exploitation. Fame. Big houses.
| Fancy cars. Executive titles. Material
| stuff. All these things are attached to
| something else. Something has to be
| sacrificed to get these things. And they
| often donât make you happy in the end.
| Theyâre not who you really are, or what you
| really care about, but you do them because
| thatâs how itâs set up, and weâre just
| operating within the framework that exists.
|
| But, thereâs this other way.
|
| In this experimental society in which you
| can participate, if you want â people are a
| little more âreal.â People will give you
| advice, pass along a link they think might
| interest you, offer to collaborate on a
| real project, or exchange some information
| with you, for no other reason besides that
| itâs âhow THIS system works.â
|
| The precondition is trust. You canât buy
| trust. You canât force trust.
|
| You earn trust.
`----

http://emergentbydesign.com/2010/03/20/how-to-spark-a-snowcrash-what-the-web-really-does/

Open Notebook Science

,----[ Quote ]
| Open notebook science (ONS) is the practice
| of making the primary record of a research
| project publicly available online as it is
| generated. This involves placing the
| personal, or laboratory, notebook of the
| researcher(s) online along with all raw and
| processed data, and any associated
| material. The approach can be summed up by
| the slogan "no insider information".
`----

http://scienceoftheinvisible.blogspot.com/2010/03/open-notebook-science-chytrid-project.html

Open Source: Next generation Focuses on Data

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.formtek.com/blog/?p=1073