[News] Ruby Programming, Python and Free/Libre Composition Tools in the News

  • Subject: [News] Ruby Programming, Python and Free/Libre Composition Tools in the News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:25:07 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ruby in Edinburgh

,----[ Quote ]
| What can I say? These regional Ruby
| conferences, theyâre all good, based on my
| experience. This one was only weakly
| regional; about half the attendees were
| Scottish, others from all over Europe, and
| with a strong faction of Americans whom I
| presume were thinking about the Ruby-and-
| Whisky combination. If you havenât been to
| a Ruby conference, you should go sometime.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2010/03/28/Scottish-Ruby-Conference

Carving a Ruby red road ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM does because they hire people to do
| Eclipse. Most people actually get a pay-
| cheque. So there isnât a business model for
| Open Source. And so this is the challenge
| for us. How do you create hybrid models
| that still give you revenue? Thatâs part of
| the reason why weâve started the Innovation
| and Technology Trust. The intention is to
| support Open Source and emerging
| technologies that need endorsement and
| visibility in the IT eco-system in India.
| If there are other communities out there
| that need the support and backing, the
| trust is there for this.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Languages/Feature/Carving-a-Ruby-red-road-ahead/133717/0/

New Python versions released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Python developers have released two new
| version of the programming language.
| Versions 2.6.5 and 3.1.2 are both new
| maintenance releases; 2.6.5 of the older
| Python 2.6 development strand, and 3.1.2,
| of the current Python development version.
| Because Python 2.6 is currently in bug fix
| mode, there is no added functionality, but
| over sixty bugs have been fixed in the
| Python 2.6.5 release since the previous
| version.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/New-Python-versions-released-960410.html

Review: Geany IDE â Integrated Development Environment for all OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Geany is an Integrated Development
| Environment (IDE) that was created to be
| light-weight and independent as possible.
| Iâve used Geany for sometime now. I havenât
| used it on C or anything like that, but I
| use it (daily) for xhtml, css, and php.
| When I learn JavaScript and Python I will
| be programming those in Geany also.
`----

http://duncsweb.com/2010/03/27/review-geany-ide/

Linux Arpeggiators

,----[ Quote ]
| There are a host of smaller tools (QJackCtl
| is indispensable and worth special mention)
| that help round out a project studio, but the
| biggest shift in thinking was from running
| one program, to connecting multiple ones
| together via Jack.
|
| Itâs funny because in that sense even GUI-
| heavy big applications mirror the âdo one
| thing and do it wellâ Unix philosophy.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/03/linux-arpeggiators/

The Difficulties of Unwritten Community Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The strong sense of community standards in
| Perl and the CPAN offers many benefits. The
| uniformity of conventions suggests that all
| of the code I'm likely to use has decent
| documentation, a test suite, a project page
| on the CPAN, dependency tracking, and a
| very reasonable chance of installing
| correctly (or at least strong community
| pressure to figure out why it doesn't and
| to fix it).
`----

http://www.modernperlbooks.com/mt/2010/03/the-difficulties-of-unwritten-community-standards.html

Software development - a lot more than coding

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.embedded.com/design/testissue/224000049