[News] [Rival] Apple and Microsoft Cracked

Hacker busts IE8 on Windows 7 in 2 minutes

,----[ Quote ]
| Two researchers yesterday won $10,000 each
| at the Pwn2Own hacking contest by bypassing
| important security measures of Windows 7.
|
| Both Peter Vreugdenhil of the Netherlands
| and a German researcher who would only
| identify himself by the first name Nils
| found ways to disable DEP (data execution
| prevention) and ASLR (address space layout
| randomization), which are two of Windows
| 7's most vaunted anti-exploit features.
| Each contestant faced down the fully-
| patched 64-bit version of Windows 7 and
| came out a winner.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9174101/Hacker_busts_IE8_on_Windows_7_in_2_minutes?taxonomyId=82

Hacker Bypasses Windows 7 Anti-Exploit Features In IE 8 Hack

,----[ Quote ]
| A Dutch researcher won $10,000 in the
| Pwn2Own hacking contest this week for
| hacking Internet Explorer 8 on a Windows 7
| machine -- bypassing built-in anti-exploit
| features in the operating system.
`----

http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability_management/security/attacks/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224200392

What to make of the hacker who broke IE8 in two minutes

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/59049

Pwn2Own winner tells Apple, Microsoft to find their own bugs

,----[ Quote ]
| Miller used one of the flaws he found by
| dumb fuzzing yesterday to exploit Safari on
| a MacBook Pro, walking off with the
| notebook, $10,000 and a free trip to Las
| Vegas this summer to the DefCon hacking
| conference.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9174120/Pwn2Own_winner_tells_Apple_Microsoft_to_find_their_own_bugs?taxonomyId=17

Apple and Microsoft get trashed by hackers again

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1598208/apple-microsoft-trashed-hackers

Pwn2Own 2010: interview with Charlie Miller

http://m.oneblog.it/itsecurity/post/2265/interview-with-charlie-miller-pwn2own/

Riskiest online city in US is Microsoft's Seattle

,----[ Quote ]
| Seattle is top, according to the report,
| for cyberattacks and potential infections
| and online behaviour that can lead to
| cybercrime, like online shops, online banks
| and wi-fi.
`----

http://www.techeye.net/security/riskiest-online-city-in-us-is-microsofts-seattle

Windows' Boll Weevil problem

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows defenders like to claim that all
| other operating systems would have just as
| much trouble if they were as popular as
| desktop Windows is. They're wrong of
| course. Windows was designed as a single
| user operating system and to make it easy
| for applications to share data. That
| single-user, no IPC (interprocess
| communication) DNA remains in Windows to
| this day. That said, they do have a point,
| which is why I like to say that Windows has
| a "Boll Weevil" problem.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/security/102162/windows-boll-weevil-problem

Malware delivered by Yahoo, Fox, Google ads

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20000898-245.html?tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.1

Your malware, courtesy Yahoo, Fox

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/37366

Recent:

How Banker Trojans Steal Millions Every Day

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/02/22/2353257/How-Banker-Trojans-Steal-Millions-Every-Day