[News] Fusion of Proprietary and Free Software With Prefab

  • Subject: [News] Fusion of Proprietary and Free Software With Prefab
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 08:21:35 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

New Application Could Make All Software 'open Source'

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine controlling Apple iTunes from
| inside Microsoft Word without having to
| switch applications. That could be
| possible, according to researchers at the
| University of Washington who are working on
| a project that could essentially make any
| proprietary software open source.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/193068/new_application_could_make_all_software_open_source.html

Prefab system 'makes all software open source'

,----[ Quote ]
| A University of Washington team has
| developed a system it says makes all
| software effectively open source, allowing
| users to add custom features to any
| program.
|
| "Microsoft and Apple aren't going to open
| up all their stuff. But they all create
| programs that put pixels on the screen. And
| if we can modify those pixels, then we can
| change the program's apparent behavior,"
| said James Fogarty, a UW assistant
| professor of computer science and
| engineering.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/software-features/49184-prefab-system-makes-all-software-open-source

Is Prefab legal?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6170

GNU/Linux and freedom: non-free software hidden in your GNU/Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| Most people with an interest in software
| freedom will turn to GNU/Linux as their
| operating system of choice. Few realize
| however, that the vast majority of
| GNU/Linux distros are not entirely free.
| Imagine migrating away from Windows, only
| to find that by installing GNU/Linux you
| are accepting a restrictive Microsoft
| license!
|
| Many distros promote the use of proprietary
| software, knowingly show incorrect
| licenses, and attempt to hide the problem
| under the guise of an âoption of freedomâ.
| When the majority of developers of a
| collection of software donât care about
| freedom, neither will their users. Non-free
| distros make almost no attempts to inform
| their userbases of the importance of
| freedom, even though they wouldnât exist
| without it. I will discuss how the option
| of freedom is an unacceptable solution, and
| propose some real fixes.
|
| The problem
|
| Iâve been using GNU/Linux for over 5 years,
| but Iâve only recently discovered just how
| much non-free software my distro contains.
| I decided to search through my system and
| remove everything that was non-free, and
| there was quite a lot that I removed.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/gnu_linux_and_freedom_nonfree_software_hidden_in_your_linux_distribution

Recent:

  10 Windows applications that should be ported to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=1412