[News] Novell, Microsoft and SCO: Court Proceedings Intersect

  • Subject: [News] Novell, Microsoft and SCO: Court Proceedings Intersect
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 23:02:01 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"On the same day that CA blasted SCO, Open Source evangelist Eric
Raymond revealed a leaked email from SCO's strategic consultant Mike
Anderer to their management. The email details how, surprise surprise,
Microsoft has arranged virtually all of SCO's financing, hiding behind
intermediaries like Baystar Capital."

                                --Bruce Perens

SGI peddles cut-down Altix UV supers

,----[ Quote ]
| The entry box already supports Novell's
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 and the
| just-announced Red Hat Enterprise Linux
| 5.5, which has all the kernel tweaks to
| allow it to support the Nehalem-EX
| processors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/02/sgi_altix_uv_10_100/

Novell vs. Microsoft Antitrust Suit Dismissed

http://www.internetnews.com/government/article.php/3874096

Court Dismisses Novell Suit Against Microsoft

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/cnews/article.php/3874081/Court-Dismisses-Novell-Suit-Against-Microsoft.htm

What's next for Novell now that it owns Unix?

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell recently secured a jury decision
| against SCO pertaining to the ownership of
| Unix. Here are two relevant questions and
| answers from Ian Bruce, Novell's director
| of PR:
|
|     Q: Given that SCO barely exists any
|     more, what is the real relevance of
|     all this?
|     A: The jury has confirmed Novell's
|     ownership of the Unix copyrights,
|     which SCO had asserted to own in its
|     attack on Linux. An adverse decision
|     would have had profound implications
|     for the Linux community.
|
|     Q: If Novell owns the copyrights to
|     Unix, what does that mean for Linux?
|     A: We own the copyrights and we will
|     continue to protect the open source
|     community, including Linux.
|
| Consider that Novell's board rejected an
| unsolicited takeover offer from investment
| fund Elliott Associates just two weeks
| ago. Novell's board said the offer
| "undervalues the company's franchise and
| growth prospects." However, the board did
| commit to a review of its alternatives,
| including an outright sale.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/whats-next-novell-now-it-owns-unix-853

SCO Group: Die Hard 17

,----[ Quote ]
| It is now almost seven years since the SCO
| Group gave up on the idea of actually
| producing good products and hitched its
| future to suing others. In my first column
| on the topic I predicted that someone
| would pay off the SCO Group, but it turned
| out that no one was willing to hold his
| nose long enough to do so. Well, almost no
| one: it may be that Microsoft provided SCO
| with some funding. But maybe this was like
| two skunks mating -- maybe Microsoft could
| not smell the stink since it has
| frequently threatened the same kind of
| attacks on Linux using secret information
| that the SCO Group was known for.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/software/103052/sco-group-die-hard-17

SCO's February MORs and SCO Partner News