[News] SimplyMEPIS 8.5 Uses KDE 4.3.4, Reviewed

  • Subject: [News] SimplyMEPIS 8.5 Uses KDE 4.3.4, Reviewed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 09:32:03 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SimplyMEPIS 8.5 Final Switches to KDE 4.3.4

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 8.5 is ready for the spotlight
| with all the bugs and rough edges remaining
| in the final release candidate being ironed
| out. No new features have been introduced
| since RC3, but SimplyMEPIS 8.5 has plenty
| to offer users who want a great Linux
| experience right out of the box.
| SimplyMEPIS 8.5 is based on Debian Lenny,
| the latest stable release, but also comes
| with newer packages when the developers
| believed they were stable enough or offered
| enough improvements to justify their
| inclusion. The new release also marks the
| transition from the KDE 3.5 desktop
| environment to the newer KDE 4 software
| compilation.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/SimplyMEPIS-8-5-Final-Switches-to-KDE-4-3-4-138854.shtml

SimplyMepis 8.5 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Today marks the release of version 8.5 of
| SimplyMepis, the popular Debian based
| distribution that focuses on the K desktop
| environment. We decided to take it for a
| run and see if there have been any
| significant changes since the previous
| release.
|
| [...]
|
| Overall Impressions:
|
| Pro's:
|
|     * Based on Debian which means the
|     package selection is quite good.
|     * Plenty of configuration utilities for
|     those uncomfortable with the console.
|     * System feels stable.
|     * Pre-installed browser plugins for
|     Firefox save users some time tracking
|     them all down.
|
| Con's:
|
|     * Visually unappealing.
|     * Welcome screen doesn't start at first
|     bootup which negates any value it might
|     add.
`----

http://www.linuxcritic.com/simplymepis-85-review/

Recent:

SimplyMEPIS 8.5 Goes Gold

,----[ Quote ]
| MEPIS LLC has announced the availability of
| SimplyMEPIS 8.5 from MEPIS and public
| mirrors. The ISO files for 32 and 64 bit
| processors are SimplyMEPIS-CD_8.5.01-
| rel1_32.iso and SimplyMEPIS-CD_8.5.01-
| rel1_64.iso respectively. Deltas are also
| available.
|
| On behalf of the MEPIS Community, Paul
| Brooks was on hand to say: "This is one of
| the best releases ever. The Community
| collaboration with Warren has strengthened
| over the past couple of years, with in-
| depth testing and the contribution of ideas
| and tweaks. In particular, the Community
| provided artwork and documentation, which I
| believe are top notch. Also community
| member Marcos led the charge to improve
| MEPIS utilities and to create new Community
| contributed utilities."
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14362

SimplyMEPIS 8.5 RC2 is Available