[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Receives GroundWork Backing, Reviewed

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Receives GroundWork Backing, Reviewed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 09:33:31 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GroundWork Open Source Launches New Ubuntu-Powered Virtual Appliance for IT Monitoring

,----[ Quote ]
| âAs Ubuntu Server continues its growth in
| enterprise environments, GroundWorkâs
| Ubuntu-powered virtual appliance is a great
| solution for those looking to measure,
| monitor, and manage their mission critical
| Ubuntu infrastructure,â said John Pugh,
| Software Partner Manager, at Canonical.
| âAnd the virtual appliance form factor has
| added benefits for those considering cloud
| computing.â
`----

http://www.groundworkopensource.com/about/news/pr/ubuntu-virtual-appliance.html

Quick Look at Lucid

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu just released the beta 1 version of
| their new LTS (Long Term Support)
| Distribution, Lucid 10.04. The theme is
| based on "light" and it looks great. Here's
| what to expect and what not to expect when
| you first install this new flavor of
| Ubuntu:
|
| The first thing you notice when you launch
| the live CD is Ubuntu's new logo. Don't
| worry, they still have the basic logo but
| they added some new typography and use the
| logo like a registration mark. They went
| with the black desktop theme for their
| default which is fine, but they moved
| something around. The window manager
| buttons went from the right side to the
| left, which is difficult at first if you
| are not used to it.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/quick-look-lucid

Maverick Meerkat A Perfect 10?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu's Lucid Lynx (10.04) isn't out yet
| but Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Ubuntu
| and Canonical, and his team look toward the
| October 2010 (10.10) release they're
| calling Maverick Meerkat. On his personal
| blog this morning, Mark wrote, "Itâs time
| to put our heads together to envision 'the
| perfect 10'." Mark, himself, has a new
| vision for the upcoming release already
| knowing that 10.04 is almost "in the can."
| His new vision is one of lightness-
| lightness in footprint, in deployment and
| in support requirements. A grand vision but
| can he do it?
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story272681.html

There is More to Linux Than Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Kubuntu was my favorite distribution for a
| time, back during the KDE 3.5 series. I was
| a KDE user all the way back to 2.0. Before
| Kubuntu I used mainly Debian unstable on
| the desktop, and Debian stable on servers.
| Way before that, Red Hat and Slackware. Red
| Hat 5 was my first Linux, on actual 3.5"
| diskettes. Somewheres in there I used
| Libranet, which was a super-nice Debian
| derivative, but sadly it died with the
| passing of its founder.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2010-04-03-007-35-OS-CY

Recent:

GroundWork Open Source releases Monitor Enterprise 6.1

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/news/groundwork_open_source_releases_monitor_enterprise_61_100120