[News] Debian Family (Including Ubuntu) and the Relationship to Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Debian Family (Including Ubuntu) and the Relationship to Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 00:32:22 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

[Debian] Bits from the Release Team: Scheduling, transitions, how to help

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/04/msg00001.html

Ubuntu and the FSF Ideal

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs an interesting relationship, but I
| think we all understand where each of us
| is coming from. The FSF seeks to be a
| defining entity that stands for a very
| precise ideal and raising awareness of
| that ideal through appealing to peopleâs
| politics. Ubuntu seeks to increase
| awareness and use of Free Software by
| providing products that work. So long as
| we in Ubuntu never forget to mention the
| ideals, philosophies and principles of the
| Free and Open Source ethos that gives us
| the great fortune of being able to make
| computers work better, then I think we
| have no real conflict.
`----

http://doctormo.org/2010/04/03/ubuntu-and-the-fsf-ideal/

Ubuntu and its commitment to software freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu does not include âNon-Freeâ desktop
| software in a default installation: When
| installing Ubuntu, there is no desktop
| software that can be considered âNon Freeâ
| and thatâs the main premise of Ubuntu
| today. Ubuntu provides the best free
| software to millions of people using it
| daily. Ubuntu never promotes proprietary
| applications over Free Software. However,
| it allows people who want to use non-free
| software, such as Skype. This is something
| that is true for Debian, Fedora, OpenSuse,
| ArchLinux, and even in the considered free
| distributions like gNewSense. The user
| chooses. Ubuntu does not force the user to
| use ânon-freeâ software.
`----

http://effiejayx.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/ubuntu-and-its-commitment-to-software-freedom/

UbuntuOne Gets Contacts Mobile Phone Sync Support [But It's Not Free]

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent message on the Ubuntu One mailing
| list announces that Canonical has teamed
| up with Funambol, an established software
| stack that synchronizes thousands of
| mobile phones and other devices who have
| built a community around different client
| plugins, virtually supporting the majority
| of the existing software on all platforms
| that have contacts (Thunderbird, Outlook,
| Mac OS X Mail, etc).
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/ubuntuone-gets-contacts-mobile-phone.html

Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 187

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter,
| Issue #187 for the week March 28th - April
| 3rd, 2010. In this issue we cover: Mark
| Shuttleworth: Shooting for the Perfect
| 10.10 with Maverick Meerkat, Ubuntu 10.04
| beta 2 freeze now in effect, Ubuntu 8.10
| reaches End-Of-Life April, 30, 2010, Call
| for Session Leaders for Ubuntu Open Week,
| Ubuntu Manual Team call for help, LoCo
| Directory: Team Events app Rocks, Ubuntu
| Ireland Global Jam Review, Help Translate
| the main LoCo Council page, Ubuntu One
| contacts, now with merging, Kubuntu
| Netbook Edition ScreenKast, At Home With
| Jono Bacon Podcast, Better sounding music
| with Rhythmbox, Ubuntu-UK Podcasts, and
| much, much more!
`----

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue187

A Look At All Ubuntu Mascots (Code Names)

,----[ Quote ]
| The development codename of an Ubuntu
| release takes the form "Adjective Animal".
| Initially these weren't in alphabetic
| order - until Dapper DRAKE (6.06) that is.
|
| Let's take a look (in pictures) at all
| Ubuntu mascots - from the warty Warthog to
| the latest maverick Meerkat...
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/look-at-all-ubuntu-mascots-code-names.html

Mergimus: Making Patch And Branch Review Easier In Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/distrocentral/distroblogs/297175:mergimus-making-patch-and-branch-review-easier-in-ubuntu