[News] Entertainment and Advanced Interfaces with GNU/Linux (Compiz, XBMC)

  • Subject: [News] Entertainment and Advanced Interfaces with GNU/Linux (Compiz, XBMC)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:30:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

mind control support may be coming to compiz

,----[ Quote ]
| Always feared that controlling Compiz with
| the power of thought alone was something
| only available for Jedi's and Sylar from
| Heroes? Think again. (Bad pun. BAD pun.)
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/mind-control-support-coming-to-compiz.html

XBMC Gets Working Intel VA-API Support

,----[ Quote ]
| The popular open-source XBMC media player
| has had VDPAU support for more than a year
| now to offload some of the video decoding
| work during the playback process onto the
| GPU (primarily NVIDIA GPUs) using this
| robust Linux/Unix graphics API. However,
| for graphics hardware / drivers that do not
| implement NVIDIA's Video Decode and
| Presentation API for Unix, the XBMC
| mainline code-base now has working support
| for VA-API.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODEyNw

Recent:

Compiz 0.9 Release Finally Approaching

,----[ Quote ]
| More than a year ago we first talked about
| some of the Compiz 0.9 plans that involved
| merging Nomad and Compiz++ into Compiz and
| a host of other changes after the future of
| Compiz was called into question. Compiz
| Fusion was dropped too and Compiz++ is the
| C++ rewrite and also brings several other
| changes, such as Compiz no longer being
| just a compositing window manager, but the
| different components have been separated
| out.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODA5NQ

Compiz cube and your icons

,----[ Quote ]
| I have had a lot of fun playing with compiz
| fusion in Linux. I really like the desktop
| cube feature especially with the
| transparency settings in place to where you
| can see all sides of your desktop cube.
| Unfortunately there is a problem and that
| is with the desktop icons. When you make
| your desktop cube transparent the wallpaper
| and icons become transparent also. There
| are two possible ways to work around this
| problem. One is to adjust the transparency
| to where it is transparent but not so
| transparent that you cannot see your icons.
| This may be acceptable with some themes and
| I have used this to some nice effect when
| working with under water themes and the
| cube atlantis plugins. The downside to this
| is that even after fine tuning your
| settings things still are not quite as
| crisp and sharp the icons donât have as
| nice of a shine nor does your sky dome.
|
| [...]
|
| For those of you who are new to Linux and
| to accelerated 3d one of the advantages of
| the desktop cube is that you can see all of
| your work spaces. So if you want to open a
| program up and then have another free space
| to work in, then you can and since it is
| transparent you can have multiple desktops
| with programs running at the same time and
| be able to see all that is going on. Here
| is a screenshot to demonstrate this
| feature...
`----

http://linusearch.com/wordpress/?p=735