[News] Debian Installation a Great Experience, Debian ftpmasters Explained

  • Subject: [News] Debian Installation a Great Experience, Debian ftpmasters Explained
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 22:00:43 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Installing Debian Linux; experiences, thoughts and opinions...

,----[ Quote ]
| So, to sum up, Debian is one hell of a
| Linux distribution. Perhaps not as newbie-
| friendly as some others, but it's still
| pretty easy to use. Whatever criticism I've
| heard so far is simply wrong, as I've met
| none of the problems described. I can see
| myself using Debian for the next few years
| to come, at least until I decide to fiddle
| with Gentoo...
`----

http://v-artists.blogspot.com/2010/04/installing-debian-linux-experiences.html

The role of the Debian ftpmasters

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux distributions don't simply appear on
| mirrors and BitTorrent networks fully
| formed. A great deal of work goes on behind
| the scenes before a release sees the light
| of day. Linux users who aren't involved in
| the production of a Linux distribution may
| not fully appreciate all of that work.
| Take, for example, the work done by
| Debian's ftpmasters team.
|
| [...]
|
| Debian is, as Jaspert alluded to, "not
| getting smaller" and managing the number of
| new packages is a "kind of Sisyphean task."
| The Debian archive contains thousands of
| packages, and the NEW queue can have
| hundreds of packages awaiting approval. NEW
| packages are those entering Debian for the
| first time, which do not have source
| packages in the archive, or those adding
| new binary packages. New versions of
| existing packages are moved automatically
| into the pool.
`----

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/381667/f2016a6bf8edf66b/

Recent:

Debian Squeeze Alpha 1 live DVD images are available - it's a
great way to dip your toe into Debian waters

,----[ Quote ]
| Can you install Debian with the live image?
| I'm not sure you can. There is some talk
| about modifying the running live system to
| invoke the installer, but it looks like
| you're better off grabbing a Squeeze image
| and creating a real Debian install disc,
| whether it be the first full CD, a DVD or
| even Blu-ray image, or a much-smaller
| network-install or business-card install
| image (the latter two which I favor, since
| the newest packages are pulled from the
| repository and you don't need to do a
| massive update right out of the box).
`----

http://insidesocal.com/click/2010/03/debian-squeeze-alpha-1-live-dv.html

Revitalizing Debian Project News

http://www.debian-news.net/2010/03/25/revitalizing-debian-project-news/

Loving Squeeze

,----[ Quote ]
| Squeeze works well enough as it is for
| production use here. Where are they hiding
| those bugs?
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/03/21/loving-squeeze/

Easy (and amazing) Debian for the N900.