[News] Servers Are Running GNU/Linux a Lot, Microsoft Has Just 6% Market Share in Itanium

  • Subject: [News] Servers Are Running GNU/Linux a Lot, Microsoft Has Just 6% Market Share in Itanium
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 01:52:02 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Intel doesn't care about Microsoft's Itanium snub

,----[ Quote ]
| An Intel spokesman said that most of the Itanium servers
| around the world do not run Microsoft Windows anyway. He
| said that it represents six per cent of current Itanium
| sales and most Itanium users run HP-UX.
`----

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18384/1/

Creating cloud infrastructures

,----[ Quote ]
| You donât want to throw your server
| hardware away, but using the AWS sounds
| cool to you? Maybe you want your own
| private cloud that is interface-compatible
| to the AWS. With Eucalyptus, an open source
| solution exists. Eucalyptus provides the
| EC2, S3 and EBS functionality and you can
| use the same open source tools for managing
| your private cloud that you already know
| from the AWS. The Eucalyptus team provides
| packages for CentOS, Ubuntu, openSUSE and
| Debian, as well as source packages. The
| easiest way to install Eucalyptus is the
| Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition because this
| distribution already contains Eucalyptus.
| Give the cloud a try.
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/creating-cloud-infrastructures/

US weather meisters buy mini Cray

,----[ Quote ]
| The implication is that Cray is in the
| running now for the next big upgrade at
| NCAR. And since NCAR is dabbling with
| Windows HPC Server as well as Linux in
| addition to its big production AIX supers,
| you can bet that NCAR would love to have a
| box that could run either Windows or Linux,
| which a super based on Xeon or Opteron
| processors can do. (IBM's Power-based
| supers can run either AIX or Linux, except
| for the BlueGene machines, which are
| restricted to Linux.)
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/07/cray_ncar_xt5/