[News] GNU/Linux Applications Compared

gEdit and Leafpad Make a Good Text-Editing Team

,----[ Quote ]
| It's no longer a hard-copy world, and most
| writing tasks don't require all the bells
| and whistles in heavyweight word processing
| programs. Text editors are a much more
| nimble choice. However, not all text
| editors are alike. You may not need a lot
| of features, but you definitely want the
| right ones. gEdit and Leafpad are two open
| source options that complement each other
| nicely.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/69703.html

6 Linux Music Players To Replace Songbird

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-linux-music-players-replace-songbird/

Desktop Virtualisation

,----[ Quote ]
| Virtualisation is a bit of a buzz word at
| the moment. Virtualisation can be used for
| all sorts of different computing tasks from
| server consolidation to cross-platform
| software development, to running that one
| "must-have" app in that "I â wish â I â
| didnât â have â to â use â this â damned â
| OS" OS. This article is more at the latter
| end of that scale. It will tell you about
| some VM options for linux, and will run you
| through some tips and tricks for getting
| the more popular VMâs up and running.
`----

http://everydaylht.com/howtos/desktop/desktop-virtualisation/

Evolutionary development of a semantic patch using Coccinelle

,----[ Quote ]
| Creating patches is usually handwork;
| fixing one specific issue at a time. Once
| in a while though, there is janitorial work
| to be done or some infrastructure to
| change. Then, a larger number of issues
| have to be taken care of simultaneously,
| yet all of them are following the same
| basic pattern, e.g. a replacement. Such
| tasks are often addressed at the source-
| code level using scripts in sed, perl, and
| the like. This article examines the usage
| of Coccinelle, a tool targeted at exactly
| those kinds of repetitive patching jobs.
| Because Coccinelle understands C syntax,
| though, it can handle those jobs much more
| easily.
`----

https://lwn.net/Articles/380835/

Visualizing open source projects and communities

,----[ Quote ]
| Visualization is a critical tool for
| exploring and understanding large amounts
| of data. Thanks to the computer power of
| the 21st century it has become possible to
| visualize ever-expanding amounts of data.
| Because the open source development model
| is massively decentralized and network-
| centric, it is by its nature the perfect
| domain for graph-based visualizations.
| Connections or dependencies between
| projects, communities, and code commits can
| be explored and displayed in a lot of ways.
| These visualizations can give us a unique
| perspective on open source projects and
| communities, such as fundamental
| differences in their approach.
`----

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/382468/342767e159a96e4b/

Linux Recipe for DVD Creation

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing that's taken me a while to find
| is a suite of programs to create video DVDs
| from scratch for home videos. From
| capturing, editing, authoring, and burning
| to a DVD. Finally, I've found a solution
| that is 100% done on Linux from start to
| finish, and it works better than the
| proprietary products I've used in the past
| that cost hundreds of dollars. Here's what
| I have found to work very well:
|
| Capturing - Kino. Kino is a great and
| lightweight program. It works flawlessly
| and can capture to AVI, DV, or Quicktime
| DV. It integrates perfectly to my video
| camera that is connected by firewire (Kino
| can preview and control the video camera
| right within its own interface). I can even
| do other tasks while it is capturing, which
| I could NOT do in Windows programs like
| Adobe Premier.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/the-open-source-revolution-10014902/linux-recipe-for-dvd-creation-10015508/