[News] Censorship or Suppression of Free Speech, Civil Rights Emphasised

  • Subject: [News] Censorship or Suppression of Free Speech, Civil Rights Emphasised
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:08:06 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Criminal inquiry under way to find source of Sarkozy affair rumours

,----[ Quote ]
| A criminal inquiry is under way in France
| to find the origin of internet rumours that
| President Sarkozy and Carla Bruni-Sarkozy,
| his wife, were having affairs.
|
| The investigation was made public because
| the Presidentâs advisers suggested that the
| rumours might have been started in an
| attempt to destabilise Mr Sarkozyâs
| position at a time when he is seeking to
| regulate global capitalism.
`----

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article7087606.ece

Iraq Video Brings Notice to a Web Site

,----[ Quote ]
| Somehow â it will not say how â WikiLeaks
| found the necessary computer time to
| decrypt a graphic video, released Monday,
| of a United States Army assault in Baghdad
| in 2007 that left 12 people dead, including
| two employees of the news agency Reuters.
| The video has been viewed more than two
| million times on YouTube, and has been
| replayed hundreds of times in television
| news reports.
|
| The release of the Iraq video is drawing
| attention to the once-fringe Web site,
| which aims to bring to light hidden
| information about governments and
| multinational corporations â putting
| secrets in plain sight and protecting the
| identity of those who help do so.
| Accordingly, the site has become a thorn in
| the side of authorities in the United
| States and abroad. With the Iraq attack
| video, the clearinghouse for sensitive
| documents is edging closer toward a form of
| investigative journalism and to advocacy.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/world/07wikileaks.html

NHS Forth Valley apologies after patient records lost

,----[ Quote ]
| A computer failure at NHS Forth Valley led
| to the loss of records for all patients
| being treated at its audiology department,
| the BBC has learned.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8609231.stm

'Eyes on the Prize' comes to DVD

,----[ Quote ]
| The 1987 civil rights documentary emerges
| from a long period of unavailability.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-eyes-prize3-2010apr03,0,4902711.story

Another hearing tomorrow on transatlantic data exchange

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/another-hearing-tomorrow-on-transatlantic-data-exchange/