[News] Net Neutrality Debate Heats Up at FCC, Free Software Magazine Criticises MSBBC for DRM

  • Subject: [News] Net Neutrality Debate Heats Up at FCC, Free Software Magazine Criticises MSBBC for DRM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:10:31 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Thinking Clearly about Spectrum and Property Rights

,----[ Quote ]
| To see whatâs wrong with this, imagine if
| we implement a âproperty rightsâ regime in
| which we clear out the entire
| electromagnetic spectrum and auction it off
| to a single owner. You could call that a
| âproperty rightsâ system, but most people
| would just call it a monopoly. And this
| monopoly would be subject to precisely the
| same knowledge problem as the FCC. Central
| planning is hard regardless of whether
| youâre a private company or a government
| agency.
`----

http://timothyblee.com/2010/04/08/thinking-clearly-about-spectrum-and-property-rights/

FCC Democrats determined to reclassify broadband

,----[ Quote ]
| Democrats on the Federal Communications
| Commission say the federal court's decision
| regarding Comcast has renewed their resolve
| to reclassify broadband as a
| telecommunications service in order to
| enact net neutrality regulations.
|
| "The only way the Commission can make
| lemonade out of this lemon of a decision is
| to do now what should have been done years
| ago: treat broadband as the
| telecommunications service that it is,"
| said Michael J. Copps, the senior
| Democratic member of the panel. "We should
| straighten this broadband classification
| mess out before the first day of summer."
`----

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/90853-fcc-democrats-determined-to-reclassify-broadband

The BBC, DRM and the demise (?) of get_iplayer. what the hell is going on?

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs never nice to hear about the demise of
| a piece of simply brilliant software. when
| I discovered that get_iplayer was being
| pulled by its developer I was, to use a
| cliche, gutted. The potential loss of a
| piece of software that did just what it
| said on the tin is bad enough but it was
| impeccably free and open. Whatâs more, it
| was an example to the BBC about how things
| should be done. It was the work of one
| lone, unpaid developer, not the product of
| professional developers subsidised by the
| BBC licence. What happened exemplifies
| everything that is wrong with proprietary
| software.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/bbc_drm_and_demise_get_iplayer_what_hell_going

Recent:

Official Statement Objecting BBC/OFCOM Proposal

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation, on behalf of its
| members, would like to register its
| serious objections to the current
| BBC/OFCOM proposal, which would impose
| content management controls on new free-
| to-air high definition channels. The plan,
| which involves restrictively licensing the
| Huffman codes used in the electronic
| programme guide, would have a negative
| effect on open source applications and
| would distort the markets which have built
| up around those applications.
|
| The treatment of Open Source in the BBC
| document is incorrect and ignores the
| severe market distortions that this
| content management scheme would produce in
| open platforms. The use of Open Source
| within the market segments that would be
| affected by the BBC proposal can be
| divided into two business models:
| Proprietary but built on Open Source and
| fully open platforms. The HD Freesat
| system the BBC used to characterise Open
| Source falls into the Proprietary but open
| category; no analysis at all was attempted
| of the fully open category. The failure to
| look at fully open platforms leads to an
| important segment of the market being
| ignored.
`----

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/content/official-statement-objecting-bbcofcom-proposal

An Open Letter to Ofcom on the BBC HD DRM Proposals

,----[ Quote ]
| ...teach and conduct research at the Open
| University, which since its inception has
| used broadcast and multimedia technologies
| in education, we are writing to express
| our objections to the proposal to allow
| the BBC to add a Digital Rights Management
| (DRM) flag to its high definition (HD)
| output.
`----

http://cloudworks.ac.uk/cloud/view/3199

Last Chance to Save BBC from DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| This leading question (and they are all
| phrased thus) pretty much indicates that
| Ofcom has made up its mind about the
| issue, and is simply going through the
| motions of consultation. Note, too, the
| euphemism âcopy managementâ, when what we
| are talking about here is DRM, plain and
| simple: even Ofcom is aware that trying to
| espouse the benefits of DRM is a lost
| cause.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2884&blogid=14

How do you want to watch HD TV in the future? It's time to tell Ofcom

,----[ Quote ]
| If you run open source capture/viewing
| software, such as MythTV, things get a
| little trickier. The developers of MythTV
| can't sign an agreement with the BBC in
| order to obtain the decoding tables,
| because part of the terms of the agreement
| are that the decoding tables aren't given
| out to anybody else. This is fundamentally
| opposed to the open source nature of the
| project, so simply won't happen.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/apr/01/bbc-hd-consultation-hdmi

BBC Activates DRM For Its iPlayer Content

,----[ Quote ]
| "The BBC has quietly added DRM to its
| iPlayer content. This breaks support for
| things like the XBMC plugin as well as
| other non-approved third-party players. The
| get-iplayer download page has a good
| summary of what happened, including links
| to The Reg articles and the BBC's response
| to users' complaints."
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/03/28/192246/BBC-Activates-DRM-For-Its-iPlayer-Content

Stop BBC âDigital Rights Managementâ from disabling your HD TV

,----[ Quote ]
| The BBC want an offshore consortium of
| entertainment companies called the "Digital
| Transmission Licensing Administrator" to
| decide how your high definition TV and
| video can work.
|
| The American courts rejected these
| draconian restrictions, so the DTLA has
| chosen to pick on British TV viewers
| instead.
`---

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/campaigns/stop-bbc-drm

OSI Opposes Barriers To Open Source Software For Television

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.opensource.org/node/513