[News] Copyrights's Harms; The Economist Calls for Shortening of Copyrights

  • Subject: [News] Copyrights's Harms; The Economist Calls for Shortening of Copyrights
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 08:15:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Copyright and wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| The moral case, although easy to sympathise
| with, is a way of trying to have oneâs cake
| and eat it. Copyright was originally the
| grant of a temporary government-supported
| monopoly on copying a work, not a property
| right. From 1710 onwards, it has involved a
| deal in which the creator or publisher
| gives up any natural and perpetual claim in
| order to have the state protect an
| artificial and limited one. So it remains.
|
| The question is how such a deal can be made
| equitably. At the moment, the terms of
| trade favour publishers too much. A return
| to the 28-year copyrights of the Statute of
| Anne would be in many ways arbitrary, but
| not unreasonable. If there is a case for
| longer terms, they should be on a renewal
| basis, so that content is not locked up
| automatically. The value society places on
| creativity means that fair use needs to be
| expanded and inadvertent infringement
| should be minimally penalised. None of this
| should get in the way of the enforcement of
| copyright, which remains a vital tool in
| the encouragement of learning. But tools
| are not ends in themselves.
`----

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15868004

Yes, Authors Have Copyright Issues With Quoting Others As Well

,----[ Quote ]
| Much of his concern is how these costs will
| multiply in an age of ebooks, but it seems
| like a serious enough issue from the start.
| Just the fact that authors who are
| discussing and building on the works of
| others are being blocked due to copyright
| is hugely problematic. In this context, it
| hardly sounds like the new works would act
| as substitutes for the old works at all --
| but could actually drive more interest in
| those original works. It's difficult to see
| why or how copyright policy makes sense in
| these cases.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100405/0252388879.shtml

If 'Piracy' Is Killing Filmmaking, Why Do Nigeria, China And India Have Thriving Movie Businesses?

,----[ Quote ]
| Another point that he found was that the
| movie makers recognized they needed to
| "compete" with unauthorized copies, and
| priced things accordingly -- so that the
| price wasn't all that different than the
| unauthorized VCDs. Now, that did mean that
| some of the movies produced in these
| countries were quite low budget -- but,
| again, if you combine a higher quality
| movie with a real reason to buy (see in the
| theater/additional benefits for buying)
| there's no reason why big Hollywood movies
| can't take advantage of the same economics.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100406/1506438902.shtml

Are There More Copyright 'Pre-Settlement' Groups Setting Up Shop In The US?

,----[ Quote ]
| We recently covered how a recently created
| outfit going by the name US Copyright
| Group, had launched tens of thousands of
| lawsuits (some of which appear to be quite
| questionable from a legal standpoint), as
| part of what appeared to be an attempt at
| copying the efforts of companies like
| DigiProtect and ACS:Law in Europe (where
| such practices have been widely condemned).
| The lawsuits appear to be a smokescreen to
| get contact information for people to whom
| this "company" can send "pre-settlement"
| letters, in which they're told to pay up to
| avoid the lawsuit.
|
| Considering that this pseudo-shakedown is
| apparently lucrative in Europe, perhaps
| others are preparing to do the same in the
| US as well. A reader who prefers to remain
| anonymous, but who works for a small ISP,
| passed along an email he recently received
| from what appears to be a newish operation
| called the Copyright Enforcement Group,
| whose website has a mock law enforcement
| shield on it.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100401/0846028831.shtml

Citizen Journalism Platform AllVoices Sets Up News Desks In 30 Cities Around The World

,----[ Quote ]
| AllVoices, a fast-growing citizen
| journalism platform, is announcing
| significant expansion today. The startup is
| launching global news desks in 30 different
| cities around the world, where both
| professional and citizen journalists will
| provide regular in-country reports from the
| ground. With the news desks, citizen
| reporters will be able to receive
| assignments from professional journalists.
| Cities with news desks include Baghdad,
| Beijing, Islamabad, London, Nairobi, and
| Shanghai.
`----

http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/09/citizen-journalism-platform-allvoices-sets-up-news-desks-in-30-cities-around-the-world/

The Associated Press in Traffic Hunt, Inspired by Mine Tragedy

,----[ Quote ]
| First, it was not APâs place to put
| together such a list. If a list was needed,
| the best entity to release it to the media,
| free of charge, under a GNU license, is the
| very MSHA, the source of APâs information.
| The MSHA is the main source, yet AP doesnât
| have the courtesy even to cite it, writing
| âAP archives, federal mining safety
| statisticsâ as the source instead.
|
| Then, we have the âall rights reservedâ
| issue, APâs power over the media. To qoute
| 5 â 25 words from this article would cost
| $12.50 for profits, and $7.50 for non-
| profits. If you want to quote more, you
| have to pay more, naturally. If you want to
| publish the article for a whole year, that
| will cost you $750.00 no less. Nothing
| against paying the price, if the
| information wouldnât be copied from the
| MSHA. The question is, how much did the AP
| pay the MSHA for the facts?
`----

http://www.pamil-visions.net/traffic-hunt/213786/

Earliest Known Led Zeppelin Live Recording Hits YouTube

,----[ Quote ]
| Before they were busying themselves with
| supergroups and arguing about reunion
| tours, the four members of Led Zeppelin
| were a fierce, inventive rockânâroll band
| that helped lay the framework for heavy
| metal and hard rock. At their peak,
| Zeppelin were one of the biggest bands in
| the world. Now, their humble beginning has
| been documented with their earliest ever
| recording.
`----

http://exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=142&csid2=844&fid1=45607

TheWrap's Cease & Desist Letter to Newser

,----[ Quote ]
| (âNewserâ), and any agent or affiliate of
| Newser, immediately cease and desist using
| The Wrap as a source for Newser content.
| Newser is not following industry best
| practices, is intentionally misleading
| consumers/users at the expense of The Wrap
| and at the expense of other unnamed
| sources, and has effectually demonstrated
| no intention to allow consumers/users to
| logically and easily ascertain the source
| of Newser articles."
`----

http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/thewraps-cease-and-desist-letter-newser-16076

Recent:

The 21st-Century Orchestra: Now Hear It This Way

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/arts/music/04download.html?ref=technology