[News] Intellectual Monopolies Harm People's Lives

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Harm People's Lives
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 08:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

EU-India free trade deal 'will hurt AIDS patients'

,----[ Quote ]
| A new Free Trade Agreement between the
| European Union and India could make it more
| difficult for the world's poorest patients
| to access antiretroviral drugs, according
| to humanitarian aid group, MÃdecins Sans
| FrontiÃres.
|
| The deal, which is close to being signed by
| both sides, is likely to curb sales of
| generic a three-in-one AIDS drug made in
| India where there are no patent constraints
| to stop the sale of combination therapies.
`----

http://www.euractiv.com/en/health/eu-india-free-trade-deal-will-hurt-aids-patients-news-425016

Court Rules that DNA Is Information, Not Intellectual Property

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal judge in New York ruled yesterday
| that patents on a set of human genes are
| invalid. U.S. District Court Judge Robert
| Sweet handed down his decision in favor of
| the case brought buy a coalition of groups
| including the American Civil Liberties
| Union and the Public Patent Foundation. The
| lawsuit argued that patents owned by Myriad
| Genetics on two genes connected to breast
| and ovarian cancer both stunt genetic
| research and limit access to health care
| for women.
`----

http://www.scienceprogress.org/2010/03/gene-patents-ruling/print/

Recent:

Gene patenting and free software: a breakthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| In reaching his legal conclusions, Judge
| Sweet relied significantly on the recent
| opinion of the Court of Appeals for the
| Federal Circuit, which has primary
| responsibility for interpreting the
| nation's patent law, In re Bilski, 535 F.3d
| 943 (2008), now pending in the Supreme
| Court.  Bilski, as readers here will know,
| raises issues concerning the patentability
| of business methods and computer software,
| on essentially the same basic ground: that,
| as the Supreme Court has said, "phenomena
| of nature, though just discovered, mental
| processes, and abstract intellectual
| concepts are not patentable, as they are
| the basic tools of scientific and
| technological work." Gottschalk v. Benson,
| 409 U.S. 63, 67 (1972).  Judge Sweet's
| opinion may be said to raise the stakes on
| Bilski slightly, but the parts of the
| Federal Circuit opinion on which Judge
| Sweet relies are not about the "specialized
| machine or transformation of matter" test
| adopted by the Federal Circuit to
| distinguish patentable from unpatentable
| inventions involving computer software and
| methods of doing business.  Judge Sweet
| followed the Federal Circuit closely in its
| expression of the settled law of patent
| scope, making it more unlikely that the
| Federal Circuit, which will hear the
| inevitable appeal from Judge Sweet's
| judgment, will be inclined to disturb the
| conclusion.
`----

http://opensource.com/law/10/4/gene-patenting-and-free-software-breakthrough

Have we seen Peak Monsanto?