[News] Patent Laws Are Broken, Google Can Fight MPEG-LA Patents

  • Subject: [News] Patent Laws Are Broken, Google Can Fight MPEG-LA Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:54:07 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Economist Assumes That The Problem Is 'Thieves' Rather Than Bad Patent Laws

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a problem that happens all too
| often in these discussions. Folks who don't
| know much about how innovation really
| occurs in the tech world, and who falsely
| conflate concepts in tangible property with
| a completely different government-granted
| monopoly right -- automatically assume that
| infringement is the equivalent of
| "stealing." Are there cases where big
| companies "copy" an idea from a small
| company? Yes, absolutely. But it's a lot
| more rare than many make it out to be. The
| really innovative ideas? Those are the ones
| that big companies don't even realize are
| big ideas until it's too late.

Google to Open Source VP8?

,----[ Quote ]
| There are patent concerns, but Google has a
| very good record on patents, so I am
| optimistic there.

A Parting Gift From A Retiring Justice Stevens? [Bilski Predictions]

,----[ Quote ]
| There are growing predictions from many
| authorities that Stevens might be the
| primary author of the Bilski patent case
| which has yet to be handed down.

Stevens Retirement Ill-timed for Dems

MPEG LA Extends H.264 Royalty-Free Period

H.264 for Internet video to be royalty free till 2016

,----[ Quote ]
| The move will allow internet broadcasters,
| including YouTube and Vimeo, to continue
| providing H.264 encoded content.

No, you canât do that with H.264

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of commercial software comes with
| H.264 encoders and decoders, and some
| computers arrive with this software
| preinstalled. This leads a lot of people to
| believe that they can legally view and
| create H.264 videos for whatever purpose
| they like. Unfortunately for them, it ainât
| so.

MPlayer Now Supports Most HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Codecs

,----[ Quote ]
| This news is coming a few days late
| (MPlayer's web-site lacks any RSS or
| syndication support), but the latest
| MPlayer code in their SVN trunk now
| supports most HD-DVD and Blu-ray codecs.
| Earlier this year we talked about possible
| Blu-ray support for FFmpeg and developers
| becoming more interested after we
| interviewed the FFmpeg developers and there
| ended up being an outpouring of support by
| our readers offering up Blu-ray drives and
| other forms of help.

FFmpeg Gains VDPAU MPEG-4 ASP Acceleration

,----[ Quote ]