[News] Oracle to Use MySQL to Take Share from Microsoft

  • Subject: [News] Oracle to Use MySQL to Take Share from Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:14:29 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Oracle boosts MySQL investment, targets Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| In a bid to woo customers from rival
| Microsoft Corp, Oracle Corp will boost
| investment in the widely used MySQL open-
| source database that it acquired with its
| January purchase of Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63C3DV20100413

The future of MySQL according to Oracle

,----[ Quote ]
| The MySQL open source database lets Oracle
| target a segment of the market it's not
| reaching with Oracle Database. "It's
| important for us as a business for MySQL to
| be successful. For that to happen, we have
| to keep investing in it," Screven said.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-management/the-future-mysql-according-oracle-402

Oracle Outlines Plans For MySQL Database

,----[ Quote ]
| âIt would be crazy for us to either starve
| the community edition or ignore the
| community, because all of those folks who
| are out there using MySQL for free, theyâre
| building applications and many of those
| eventually turn into paying customers. So
| itâs important to us from a business
| standpoint to keep the community edition
| viable and keep community members excited
| about MySQL.
`----

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/oracle-outlines-plans-mysql-database-6400

Oracle: MySQL Development Matters