[News] Canadian KDE Superstar Meets Canadian Reporters

  • Subject: [News] Canadian KDE Superstar Meets Canadian Reporters
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:57:32 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

COSSFEST, A Calgarian Tale of FOSS, Betrayal, and Murder

,----[ Quote ]
| The talks were fascinating as well. Aaron
| Seigo's talk on creating Plasma widgets with
| Javascript almost made me want to get back
| to coding. Almost. Bruce Byfield's
| presentation on sexism in FOSS was
| enlightening. Dafydd Crosby, in his oddly
| quiet way, managed in two separate talks to
| get people totally wired and jumping in to
| the conversation with enthusiasm; there was
| more than a little pontificating going on as
| well. Meanwhile, Daffyd smiled quietly and
| wrote one liner comments on his notebook,
| projected in Matrix green on the big screen
| (beware those quiet types). Richard Weait's
| enthusiasm about the Open Streetmap project
| was palpable and I suspect more than one
| person will be attending a mapping party
| sometime soon.
|
| The surprise panel for me was one given by
| Brad "Renderman" Haines. It was a surprise
| because it didn't really have anything to do
| with FOSS and yet was utterly and completely
| fascinating. If you thought the locks on
| your front door, on your locker in the gym,
| or guarding the entrance to the server room
| with all its secret corporate data was safe,
| think again. Every lock I own and every lock
| I've ever installed is suspect now. Who knew
| you could open a Master combination padlock
| in five seconds with a shim cut out from an
| empty beer can. Spooky! I will be booking an
| appointment with a locksmith shortly.
`----

http://ubuntu-user.com/Online/Blogs/Marcel-Gagne-Orbiting-Planet-buntu/COSSFEST-A-Calgarian-Tale-of-FOSS-Betrayal-and-Murder

Recent:

Creating Plasmoids

,----[ Quote ]
| We take a peek at how to create your own
| plasmoids for the latest KDE desktop, giving
| you the power to build the perfect active
| desktop environment.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Issues/2010/114/CREATING-PLASMOIDS

My search for the best KDE Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| As some of you already know, I am a big fan
| of the KDE desktop environment (or KDE
| Workspaces or whatever theyâre calling it
| these days). In my search to reach Linux KDE
| perfection I have tested out a number of
| different distributions. First there was
| Fedora, which I happily ran throughout the
| length of the experiment. Once that was
| finished I attempted to install and try both
| Kubuntu and openSUSE. Unfortunately I was
| unable to do so after openSUSE decided not to
| play nice. However my search did not stop
| there, and once the community edition was
| ready I jumped over to Linux Mint KDE CE.
| Finally I decided to once again try openSUSE,
| this time installing from a USB drive. This
| somehow resolved all of my installation
| issues.
`----

http://thelinuxexperiment.com/guinea-pigs/tyler-b/my-search-for-the-best-kde-linux-distribution/