[News] Free Software (Firefox) Shown as More Responsive to Security Issues

  • Subject: [News] Free Software (Firefox) Shown as More Responsive to Security Issues
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:55:15 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Zombies are open source; humans are proprietary

,----[ Quote ]
| After last month's Pwn2Own Contest, Mozilla
| once again was the first to issue patches for
| the bug found in the hacking competition,
| beating Microsoft and Apple to the punch for
| the second year in a row.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/60101

Firefox plugin decodes malicious Web sites

,----[ Quote ]
| A computer security researcher has released a
| plugin for Firefox that provides a wealth of
| data on Web sites that may have been
| compromised with malicious code.
|
| The plugin, called Fireshark, was released on
| Wednesday at the Black Hat conference. The
| open-source free tool is designed to address
| the shortcomings in other programs used to
| analyze malicious Web sites, said Stephan
| Chenette, a principal security researcher at
| Websense, which lets Chenette develop
| Fireshark in the course of his job.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/firefox-plugin-decodes-malicious-web-sites-815

Is Your Site's FAQ Helpful or Useless? Improving the Lowly FAQ

,----[ Quote ]
| Gracey suggests that you ask whether you
| really need a FAQ or not. The answer for any
| FLOSS-related project is yes, yes you do.
| There's a strong expectation in the open
| source community that any project or product
| will have a FAQ associated with it, so it's a
| bad idea to skip them entirely.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/is-your-sites-faq-helpful-or-useless-improving-the-lowly-faq

Recent:

Mozilla trials a Firefox security tool

,----[ Quote ]
| MOZILLA IS ASKING researchers and developers to help test a
| security tool for its Firefox web browser.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1557240/mozilla-trials-firefox-security-tool

Mozilla unveils cure for Web 2.0 world run amok

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mozilla Foundation has unveiled an early version of its
| Firefox browser that it says could virtually eliminate one of
| the most common attack forms now menacing the web.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/03/mozilla_web_20_solution/

Mozilla UX chief: What's next for Mozilla, Firefox and the Web

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/igeneration/?p=2961