[News] Google Complements -- Not Eliminates -- Ogg

  • Subject: [News] Google Complements -- Not Eliminates -- Ogg
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 00:21:32 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google funds OGG Theora

,----[ Quote ]
| The player as well as development tools are
| freely distributed here. The OGG Theora
| codec takes its name from Theora Jones,
| Amanda Pays' character on "Max Headroom."
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Google-funds-OGG-Theora

Did Google Just Kill Ogg Theora?

,----[ Quote ]
| Montgomery is right. Itâs unlikely that open
| sourcing VP8 is going to kill Theora. There
| will still be a small but dedicated
| community supporting the format, and there
| are going to be cases when it actually makes
| sense to use Theora and not VP8. What it
| will kill however, is the notion that Theora
| could one day become the standard of the
| HTML5 video web. For that, it would need to
| be a codec thatâs superior to existing
| commercial solutions, and Theora just never
| was up to that challenge.
`----

http://newteevee.com/2010/04/14/did-google-just-kill-ogg-theora/

The importance of there being another open source codec

,----[ Quote ]
| Googleâs apparent decision to open source
| the VP8 video codec will mostly be discussed
| today in terms of Googleâs ambitions, about
| Google TV, and about HTML5.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6257

Recent:

Google TV: Another Reason Open Sourcing VP8 Matters

,----[ Quote ]
| Googleâs decision to open source On2
| Technologyâs VP8 video codec at its Google I/O
| developer conference next month is not only a
| huge boon for HTML5 web video and a blow
| against Adobeâs Flash. Itâs also clearly aimed
| at optimizing video playback on a number of
| devices, like the much-rumored Google TV
| platform as well as upcoming Android tablet
| PCs.
`----

http://newteevee.com/2010/04/12/google-tv-another-reason-open-sourcing-vp8-matters/

Google to Open Source VP8?