[News] A Look at MySQL Database's Future Under Oracle

  • Subject: [News] A Look at MySQL Database's Future Under Oracle
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:07:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

MySQL under Oracle: No changes, except to what we say

,----[ Quote ]
| His presentation followed those of MySQL
| daddy Monty Widenius and leading MySQL
| architect Brian Aker who'd spoke against a
| single company running MySQL. They'd also
| pitched their MySQL forks, MariaDB and
| Drizzle, as alternative projects and products
| to MySQL for developers and DBAs.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/16/mysql_integration_oracle/

YourSQL, MySQL, and NoSQL: The MySQL Conference Report

,----[ Quote ]
| A: Letâs consider the plausible outcomes:
|
|    1. Oracle intends to keep developing MySQL
|    as a weapon against, among other products,
|    Microsoftâs SQL Server
|    2. Oracle intends to kill the project, and
|    will do so explicitly by limiting or
|    narrowly focusing development.
|    3. Oracle intends to kill the project, and
|    will do so implicitly by deliberate
|    indifference.
|
| Personally, I still believe the first outcome
| is the most likely. Iâm also on record as
| arguing that the second is much less of a
| problem than people believe, because if
| Oracle acts publicly in bad faith, this would
| create â immediately â massive commercial
| opportunity for a second player or players.
| The last scenario is clearly the most
| problematic, as an Oracle that didnât do
| anything bad but simply failed to do anything
| good could leave the community paralyzed and
| unable to muster a suitable response. Still,
| I consider this the least likely of the three
| potential outcomes.
|
| Is Oracleâs handling of the MySQL project
| important? Quite obviously the answer is yes.
| Whether you agreed with Sunâs valuation of
| the project at one billion, MySQL is clearly
| a valuable asset.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2010/04/17/yoursql-mysql-and-nosql-the-mysql-conference-report/

Recent:

Oracle boosts MySQL investment, targets Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| In a bid to woo customers from rival
| Microsoft Corp, Oracle Corp will boost
| investment in the widely used MySQL open-
| source database that it acquired with its
| January purchase of Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63C3DV20100413

The future of MySQL according to Oracle

,----[ Quote ]
| The MySQL open source database lets Oracle
| target a segment of the market it's not
| reaching with Oracle Database. "It's
| important for us as a business for MySQL to
| be successful. For that to happen, we have
| to keep investing in it," Screven said.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-management/the-future-mysql-according-oracle-402

Oracle Outlines Plans For MySQL Database

,----[ Quote ]
| âIt would be crazy for us to either starve
| the community edition or ignore the
| community, because all of those folks who
| are out there using MySQL for free, theyâre
| building applications and many of those
| eventually turn into paying customers. So
| itâs important to us from a business
| standpoint to keep the community edition
| viable and keep community members excited
| about MySQL.
`----

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/oracle-outlines-plans-mysql-database-6400

Oracle: MySQL Development Matters