[News] Small/Light GNU/Linux Distributions Put to Good Use on Old/Weak Machines

  • Subject: [News] Small/Light GNU/Linux Distributions Put to Good Use on Old/Weak Machines
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:00:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nothing to scoff at: Arch Linux, 300Mhz Celeron

,----[ Quote ]
| Arch Linux makes it acceptably light and fast,
| and with the addition of a very lightweight
| desktop, itâs a working-class computer. As you
| can see I added the old ath5k-based PCMCIA
| wireless card, which gives it decent download
| speeds, and the entire graphical desktop, plus
| nfs and ssh can all run in under 30Mb of
| memory with a little swap used. Triggering
| rtorrent and screen-vs over ssh takes care of
| the actual âwork,â and all the rest is cake.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/04/18/nothing-to-scoff-at-arch-linux-300mhz-celeron/

A pleasant surprise: VortexBox

,----[ Quote ]
| As a test for my new torrent slave, I
| downloaded an ISO of VortexBox, which is
| something I hadnât ever heard of, probably
| because I donât travel in Fedora circles very
| much. I had no rationale for grabbing that
| torrent; it just happened to be at the top of
| the stack at linuxtracker.org.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/a-pleasant-surprise-vortexbox/

Recent:

Should I give my old PC to a charity or school, or reuse it?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/14/old-computer-you-decide