[News] [Rival] Waggener Edstrom Runs Propaganda to Whitewash Microsoft's Tax Dodge

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Waggener Edstrom Runs Propaganda to Whitewash Microsoft's Tax Dodge
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:45:25 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"In the fall of 1982, Pam Edstrom [of Waggener Edstrom], a
diminutive woman with piercing blue eyes, was recruited by
Microsoft. [...] In modern-day business, flacks were responsible
 not only for avoiding bad press, but for spinning the good. [...]
 Hanson and Edstrom would spin a whole new image for Gates himself.
They would tap the best and worst of Chairman Bill, changing his
clothes, his voice, and his allegiances, driving him to become not
just the boss, but, essentially, the company mascotâa sort of
high-technology Colonel Sanders."

	--Pam's daughter

Rep. Hunter is a former Microsoft GM by the way....

Rep. Hunter Makes April 10th Tax Freedom Day for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that Rep. Hunter has
| successfully re-inserted the amnesty clause
| for Microsoft's thirteen year Nevada tax
| dodge (earlier, Rep. Santos' amendment had
| removed this clause for unrelated reasons).
|
|     (2) Section 201 of this act does not
|     apply to any tax periods ending before
|     May 1, 2010, that were included in a
|     completed field audit conducted by the
|     department.
|
| Section 201 is the clause that was supposed
| to help the Dept. of Revenue crack down on
| these kinds of abusive tax transactions -
| more on this in a moment.
|
| Interestingly, Rep. Hunter's latest blog
| post is about Tax Freedom Day. Thanks to
| Rep. Hunter, April 10th is quickly becoming
| Tax Freedom Day for Microsoft.
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/04/rep-hunter-makes-april-10th-tax-freedom-day-for-microsoft.html

Guest post: Microsoft shoots over Wash. Legislature's bow

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/201493.asp

Microsoft PR Goes on the Defensive with Veiled Threats on Tax Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, Microsoft's PR firm, Waggener
| Edstrom, invited local reporters to a press
| conference with Microsoft General Counsel
| and possible architect of its Nevada tax
| dodge, Brad Smith, to discuss an update to
| a Microsoft-funded University of Washington
| study on Microsoft's overwhelming economic
| impact on our state.
|
| [...]
|
| The only problem with Microsoft's WagEd
| press conference is if you actually pay any
| attention to the illogic of Mr. Smith's
| message. For example, quoting from
| TechFlash:
|
| * "It absolutely remains the case that
| Washington state is Microsoft's home." -
| unless of course we're reporting the
| revenue received from our $20.7 billion
| annual licensing business, the home for
| that business is in Nevada.
|
| * "If you'd ask what is more at play in the
| future, it's more a question of whether the
| jobs that Microsoft is able to add will be
| added in Washington state, another state,
| or outside the United States. The big
| issues playing into that decision include
| the company's ability to secure visas for
| foreign workers, quality of life (including
| education, transportation and cultural
| life) and the cost of doing business"
|
| In other words, in order for Microsoft to
| add more jobs in Washington State, it needs
| to secure more visas for foreign workers.
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/04/microsoft-pr-goes-on-the-defensive.html

Microsoft Tax Dodge Mp3 Download from KBCS FM

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/04/microsoft-tax-dodge-mp3-download-from-kbcs-fm.html

Recent:

Microsoft Tax Cut & Amnesty Pending in the Legislature

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/microsoft-tax-cut-amnesty-pending-in-the-legislature.html

Open Letter to the Washington State Legislature on HB 3191

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/open-letter-to-the-washington-state-legislature-on-hb-3191.html

Rep. Larry Seaquist: It's only a tax cut, if you were paying the tax

,----[ Quote ]
| Does the Department of Revenue think
| Microsoft is following the law? Well,
| we've recently received a more detailed
| response from the department about this
| issue and will post more shortly. All I'll
| say for now is that HB3176 labels this
| kind of out of state tax dodge an "abusive
| tax practice".
|
| As for Rep. Seaquist, when I wrote him to
| be sure he understood the problems with
| the bill (and to ask him for a public
| statement for the blog), he replied,
| "Gents, please direct your continuing
| concerns to Rep. Hunter. Very best wishes,
| Larry"
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/we-hope-the-washington-state-legislature-understands-hb-3176-better-than-rep-larry-sequist.html

Update on Status and Records Requests Related to Microsoft Tax Dodge

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/update-on-status-and-records-requests-related-to-microsoft-tax-dodge.html

Public Records Request Received Regarding HB3176 and Rep. Hunter

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/public-records-request-received-regarding-hb3176-and-rep-hunter.html

Attorney General Affirms Non-Disclosure of Department of Revenue Tax Documents

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/attorney-general-affirms-nondisclosure-of-department-of-revenue-tax-documents.html

Cartoonist Takes on Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Washington State

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/02/cartoonist-takes-on-microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmer-and-washington-state.html

Cartoon about Microsoft's giant tax gift from Washington State

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/23/cartoon-about-micros.html