[News] Slitaz Declared the Winner of Lightweight GNU/Linux Distributions

  • Subject: [News] Slitaz Declared the Winner of Lightweight GNU/Linux Distributions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:49:41 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

8 of the best tiny Linux distros

,----[ Quote ]
| The winner: Slitaz 9/10
|
| We hope you've seen that the world of light
| distros is more exciting than you may have
| imagined. Choosing the right one depends on the
| hardware you want to run it on and what you want
| to use it for.
|
| The Ubuntu-based distros are interesting,
| particularly the nascent Lubuntu, mainly because
| they have a tiny footprint but offer the promise
| of installing anything from the vast Ubuntu
| multiverse. However, we were looking for a a
| distro to work painlessly in a cramped hardware
| environment.
|
| Honourable mentions must go to DSL and Tiny Core
| at this point, which have clambered into the
| territory of the minuscule. It's amazing how
| usable a system can be that takes up less space
| on your drive than your holiday pictures. Puppy
| Linux and Unity were both easy to use, although
| the latter was a bit more polished (and bigger).
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/8-of-the-best-tiny-linux-distros-683552

Recent:

SliTaz Linux 3.0 lends credence to the phrase âSmall but Powerfulâ

,----[ Quote ]
| SliTaz 3.0 (release announcement) is upon
| us and we decided to take this tiny
| distribution for a spin and see how well it
| caters to the minimalist crowd. This
| distribution weighs in at an incredible 30
| meg download, but does it contain the
| applications one needs to have a functional
| machine? Let's take a look.
`----

http://www.linuxcritic.com/slitaz-linux-30-lends-credence-phrase-small-powerful/

Greetings from Slitaz 3.0