[News] Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Reaches RC, a Lot More News Arriving

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Reaches RC, a Lot More News Arriving
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:01:42 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Announcing the Release Candidate for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the
| Release Candidate for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
| (Long-Term Support) Desktop and Server
| Editions and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server for
| Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) and Amazon's
| EC2, as well as Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
| Edition.  Codenamed "Lucid Lynx", 10.04 LTS
| continues Ubuntu's proud tradition of
| integrating the latest and greatest open
| source technologies into a high-quality,
| easy-to-use Linux distribution.
`----

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2010-April/000132.html

Ubuntu Release Party Videocast Soon!

http://www.linux.com/distrocentral/distroblogs/300253:ubuntu-release-party-videocast-soon

Ubuntuâs Indicator Menus â Ayatana bearing fruit

,----[ Quote ]
| When we set up Project Ayatana to improve
| the usability of the whole desktop, we
| called it Ayatana because we were focused
| on the âsphere of consciousnessâ, oneâs
| awareness of whatâs going on outside of the
| current application. There are two key
| aspects to the work:
|
|    1. Notifications are âawareness
|    distilledâ in the sense that you cannot
|    interact with them at all.  We designed
|    them as ephemeral âclick-transparentâ
|    messages, implemented in Notify-OSD.
|    Their sole purpose is to notify you of
|    transient events.
|    2. Indicator Menus combine persistent
|    awareness of a state with a set of
|    options for modifying that state.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/347

Ubuntu ditching notification area, awesome things to come

,----[ Quote ]
| The notification area in Ubuntu is to be
| removed by Ubuntu 11.04 the  Canonical
| design team have announced. Labelled as
| âineffectiveâ and âinconsistentâ Ubuntu
| will instead be encouraging applications to
| make use of panel menus that assemble
| related applications into one area.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/ubuntu-ditching-notification-area.html

Ubuntu 10.04 Integrates All Your Inboxes [Linux]

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve been looking for a way to combine all
| my inboxes in one place for a long time;
| little did I know my favorite operating
| system would make this dream feature of
| mine a default. Previously I didnât really
| see the point of the indicator applet, but
| with the addition of access to oneâs social
| networks I see a bright future for this
| handy little tool.
|
| If youâre really interested in the next
| version of Ubuntu, and youâre brave enough
| to try something still in beta, check it
| out here. If youâd rather wait, the full
| version comes out on April 29th, and you
| can always read more about Ubuntu tomorrow
| when my next post goes up.
|
| What do you think? Is this a killer feature
| for Ubuntu, or more bloat youâll never use?
| Will you yourself use the indicator applet
| now that it supports social networks, or
| will you continue to remove it as part of
| your Ubuntu setup routine?
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ubuntu-1004-integrates-inboxes-amazing/

Ubuntu Power Users Community

,----[ Quote ]
| As Ubuntu continues to grow and refine,
| particularly in bringing excellence in
| design to the platform, there has been some
| concern in some parts of the community that
| it is less attuned to power users who want
| to tweak many aspects of the system than it
| once was. I agree. That in my mind is not a
| bad thing: Ubuntu is focusing on a simple,
| sleek and refined experience, and sometimes
| as Mark said recently, less is more.
`----

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/04/21/ubuntu-power-users-community/

Tomcat improvements coming up in 10.04 !

,----[ Quote ]
| Jason Brittain, a software architect at
| MuleSoft and the author of Tomcat: the
| Definitive Guide, approached us with some
| ideas about how to improve the Tomcat
| package in Debian and Ubuntu. Check out his
| blog post on working with Debian and Ubuntu
| here.
|
| Jason noticed that the Ubuntu and Debian
| init scripts were starting Tomcat via the
| JSVC service runner, in order to allow
| binding the Tomcat JVM to privileged server
| port numbers (port numbers lower than
| 1024), while still running as an
| unprivileged user. However, JSVC was also
| the source of several long-standing bugs:
| it shuts down Tomcat abruptly and
| implements unreliable restarts, so it was
| possible for the init script to be unable
| to restart Tomcat. Upstream recommends
| using Tomcatâs catalina.sh script instead,
| and that script should in turn run the Java
| binary, so that the init script can
| properly handle any issues with starts,
| stops, or restarts. But that script doesnât
| have the support to bind ports as root and
| then run as an unprivileged user, like JSVC
| doesâ
`----

http://fnords.wordpress.com/2010/04/22/tomcat-improvements-coming-up-in-10-04/

Change I Can Believe In

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/04/22/change-i-can-believe-in/

Canonical to Roll Out Independent Ubuntu Certified Professional Certification for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, today
| announced that it will provide its own
| fully-independent certification for junior-
| level system administrators to help them
| with Ubuntu deployments in their office
| environments. The e-learning course version
| will be available shortly after the Ubuntu
| 10.04 LTS (Long Term Support) release on 29
| April 2010 with students able to study in
| the classroom from June 2010 and the new
| exam available from October 2010.

Canonical open sources Launchpad and Ubuntu Single Sign On code

,----[ Quote ]
| More details about the Canonical Identity
| Provider can be found on the project's
| Launchpad page (login required). Canonical
| Identity Provider code is released under
| version 3 of the GNU Affero General Public
| License (AGPLv3).
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Canonical-open-sources-Launchpad-and-Ubuntu-Single-Sign-On-code-983946.html

Open vs. Closed: Ubuntu Walks the Line

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonicalâs 330 employees are responsible
| for maintaining, supporting and selling
| service for Ubuntu, an open-source version
| of the Linux operating system for servers,
| desktops and computer manufacturers. Some
| 120-150 of the Canonical employees
| contribute directly to the new releases of
| the software that come out every six
| months, and most of the companyâs revenue
| comes from supporting enterprise server
| customers and makers of computers that want
| to put Ubuntu on desktops. Consumers also
| download the software, but few pay
| Canonical for support. The company is not
| yet profitable.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2010/04/21/open-vs-closed-ubuntu-walks-the-line/

What to Install After Installing Ubuntu Lucid?

http://maketecheasier.com/what-to-install-after-installing-ubuntu-lucid/2010/04/21

Canonical CTO Matt Zimmerman Speaks

,----[ Quote ]
| We appreciate Matt's time for the interview
| and we look forward to speaking with him
| again prior to the much anticipated 10.10
| release.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story277583.html

Recent:

Matt Zimmerman on Mono

,----[ Quote ]
| There are risks in choosing the .NET
| platform to develop free software. And I am
| pleased that Mr. Zimmerman realizes that is
| exactly what Mono is: the .NET platform
| (albeit a gimped and tail-lights chasing
| stepchild implementation).
|
| I also greatly appreciate Mr. Zimmermanâs
| points :
|
|     * Microsoft is in âultimate controlâ
|     (despite Team Apologistaâs desperate
|     protestations)
|     * Microsoft has multiple ways to wield
|     .NET offensively
|     * It would be logical for them to do so
|     * they have acted similarly in the past
|     * they have said they would act
|     similarly the future.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/04/matt-zimmerman-on-mono/

Ubuntu Turkey LoCo Team interviews Canonical CTO, Matt Zimmerman

http://www.ubuntu-user.com/Online/Blogs/Amber-Graner-You-in-Ubuntu/Ubuntu-Turkey-LoCo-Team-interviews-Canonical-CTO-Matt-Zimmerman

Ubuntu Turkey LoCo Team Interviews Canonical CTO, Matt Zimmerman

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/2021