[News] Update on Edubuntu Development, Linux Mint 9 Upgrade

  • Subject: [News] Update on Edubuntu Development, Linux Mint 9 Upgrade
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:02:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Whatâs been happening with Edubuntu?

,----[ Quote ]
| Edubuntu 9.10 was our first release that
| returned from being an add-on CD to a full
| installation disc. It had a big problem
| though, it was almost double the size what
| it needed to be. The alternate installation
| that shipped with the disc required for
| LTSP installation meant that every program
| and its files were shipped twice on the
| image, resulting in a very bloated disc. It
| was unavoidable at the time though but for
| Lucid we have managed to integrate
| everything thatâs required for a full
| Edubuntu setup into the desktop LiveCD, so
| no more alternate installation is required.
| The effective overall gain on the Lucid
| installation media is about 1GB. We donât
| want to waste space since the current 2.2GB
| image is already quite heavy on mirrors,
| but at it is good to know that we have some
| more leeway when we want to add more
| features.
`----

http://jonathancarter.co.za/2010/04/21/whats-been-happening-with-edubuntu/

Upgrading to a newer release

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint 9 will feature a brand new version
| of mintBackup, the âBackup Toolâ, rewritten
| from scratch by a newcomer in the development
| team, somebody people on the IRC and the
| forums know quite well: Ikey.
`----

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1368

Recent:

Returning to Linux, Round 2...Mint

,----[ Quote ]
| I always likes the ideas within Mint...make
| a good package better by adding little
| features and taking out what isn't
| necessary. I remembered from the day that
| everything just worked. Websites played
| flash, video on DVD would play with audio,
| documents opened without too much effort or
| downloading extras. So what else is here
| that most people would like to know about?
`----

http://knolinuxguy.blogspot.com/2010/04/returning-to-linux-round-2mint.html

Ubuntu vs. Linux Mint

,----[ Quote ]