[News] Advice to People Seeking to Help Software Freedom

  • Subject: [News] Advice to People Seeking to Help Software Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:27:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Questions to Ask if Youâre Thinking of Getting Involved in Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| If you arenât a programmer and have no idea
| what else could possibly need to be done, here
| are a few ideas:
|
|     * Artists are needed for making themes and
|     wallpapers for Linux distros and desktop
|     environments like GNOME & KDE
|     * Make little tiny icons for programmers
|     to put on the buttons in their programs
|     * Translating a program from English to
|     whatever other language you speak
|     * Writing documentation (no project is
|     too-well-documented)
|     * Tech support
|     * Testing is a great way for early
|     adopters to help out
|     * Bug triaging
|     * Packaging software for a Linux distro
`----

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2010/04/19/questions-to-ask-if-youre-thinking-of-getting-involved-in-open-source/

Moral obligations of Free Software authors?

,----[ Quote ]
| I enjoy writing software. I often write
| software to solve some sort of problem that
| Iâve had. Usually virtually any code I
| write winds up in my git repositories, on
| the theory that it might be useful to
| someone else. Some of the code that I think
| might really be useful to people gets even
| better treatment. OfflineIMAP, for
| instance, has a very comprehensive manpage,
| heavily commented example config file,
| wiki, mailing list, public bug tracker,
| etc. Most of these I did the majority of
| the work to create, but OfflineIMAP does
| occasionally receive code and documentation
| contributions from others.
`----

http://changelog.complete.org/archives/1463-moral-obligations-of-free-software-authors

Recent:

A Trip Through The Cathedral & The Bazaar

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/a_trip_through_the_cathedral__the_bazaar/